View Single Post
Old 03-26-2002, 06:02 AM   #12
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

astounding points littleman...come to think of it, even gandalf left the hobbits to themselves, as if he confidently knew that the stream of destiny they had set their sails in in the past will sustain them for whatever lay ahead. the choices they made in the face of the great tyranny ultimately prevailed over the smaller tyrannies in their lives. and having mentioned this particular tyranny in the shire makes me think that maybe there is a political/social color to tolkien's writing of this situation because the tyranny is on a baser level, like saruman's of the shire, born out of plain old revenge and malice. maybe sauron's had a greater ideological aspect to it and thus required dealing with on a different level.

yes, tyranny can destroy the will of any people, and as long as there is will...

but the question comes around, and i have to ask: what really is needed against deep-rooted tyranny? is it religious conviction or political will?

i look up from my own religious but politically ill country, gaze at tolkien's cosmology and the writing i see in his stars tell me it's the latter. isn't it an amazing irony that his work, one that so poignantly captures the essence of his christian conviction, can transmute into a political and sociological inspiration for some?

---------------------------------------------
every man's life is a path to the truth -- hesse