View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 09:06 AM   #138
Halbereth Diagona
Wight

Halbereth Diagona has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Halbereth Diagona Send a message via AIM to Halbereth Diagona
Tolkien

It was pitch black when Sorell woke. He rose from his bed and went to the window. The fever had passed, but his head still pounded. He had no idea of the day or time.
Sorell pulled up the sash window, and hooked one leg out. Then he grasped the top of the window and swung the other leg out, till he was sitting on the windowledge. He let go, and dropped swiftly until he let out his wings and flew.
He knew it was dangerous, but he stayed close to the buildings, and once peeped into Nayru's window. She was curled on the bed, fast asleep. Suddenly, Sorell recalled how she had stroked his head when he was ill, and how sad she must have been, because really she loved him like a brother.
He silently dropped from the window and flew quickly to the garden, the rose bushes. Nayru liked...what was it? White roses. Yes. He gathered a bundle, ignoring the scratches on his fingers, and took them to his room. The window was left open, so he hovered inside just long enough to grab some pretty paper that had been lying around in his bag for some time. He flew out, round to Thengise's room (she was bound to have what he wanted) and looked in. The window was open, and there was a dark lump in the bed. He looked on the dressing table, and reached out his arm to grab- yes, that's what he wanted. A ribbon.
Working outside, he wrapped the stems in the paper, secured it with the ribbon, and flew back to Nayru. She was still fast asleep- he even poked her gently, and she rolled over and murmered something. He dropped the flowers on her bedside table, then flew out, smiling a little.
When he got back to bed, it was daybreak already.