View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 AM   #423
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Undómë's post

‘It’s admirable,’ Meghan began, ‘that you think you must feel some sense of responsibility in the happenings that have brought us to this pass. Admirable . . . but wrong, I think.’ She shifted her position about so she could look full on at Athwen. ‘It wasn’t you who burnt your village and made us stop to see how we might help. It was Orcs and most likely Easterlings, too, who did that.’ She took a sip from her tea, savoring the warmth of it.

‘You and Leod were made a part of our company. And not grudgingly . . . we welcomed you in.’ Meghan furrowed her brow, thinking on what next to say. ‘It feels as if you dishonor the camaraderie that was offered freely . . . the fellowship that those of the Mark might offer, should offer, one another. It diminishes the deaths of Rædwald and Vaenosa in a way, and lessens the sacrifice that Sythric and Brand and really all of us have made to get to the King.’ She looked at Athwen, again.

‘We would expect the same of you, you know. That you would fight for us if needed and perhaps even die if the need were that extreme.’

Meghan shook her head, her expression puzzled. ‘I cannot understand why you would want to set yourself apart from us.’ She sat her empty mug down next to her. ‘Anyway, it was but an offer, and one that you can take up any time. It will stand open for you if you find you should need it later.’

She looked toward Brand, where he lay sleeping. ‘The future is uncertain, too, for me. I hope my village still stands, and that my family still lives. But I’ve seen now, with my own eyes, what those servants of the Dark Lord in the East can do . . . and all my hopes can come to nothing if they have set their minds on Bregoware and her people. Brand, too . . . he will deliver Wulfham’s request to the King . . . but what if there is no Wulfham to benefit from the King’s grace?’ Meghan rose up to adjust the blankets on both Sythric and on Brand.

‘I wish you well in whatever road you choose, Athwen. Perhaps now we should set aside these heavy thoughts and think about sleep. I doubt we will leave tomorrow. Even Elven healing cannot work so quickly.’ She stepped toward where the kettle of tea sat keeping warm near the fire. ‘One last cup of tea before bed?’

Last edited by Arry; 06-07-2006 at 05:38 PM.