View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Politics being politics, I think it's pretty much impossible that art won't imitate life to some degree here - if we don't point out the resemblence, I assume we're safe, right?
It is impossible to be neutral and it would be no fun if everybody was. So of course you must somewhat imitate your political stance in RL... you can't avoid it. But the role playing I mean is, as you said, outright caricature.

Saying, "I believe that Fea should be our Representative because she's so much smarter than me!" and having somebody counter with, "Yeah, but that's a problem! I think my Representative should be enough like me that I'm certain of his/her motives, and can we ever really trust Fea even when she doesn't have more power than us?"

That's not problematic.

But if it veers anywhere toward oh, I dunno, terrorist fist jabbin', doncha know, or maybe somethin' about Putin rearin' his ugly head, or oh, say, the economy or international relations or lipstick or etcetera, I might just have to jump in with, "Say it ain't so, Joe (Plumber, Sixpack, Lunchbox)! I'm just gonna have to pull out my nuke-u-ler Moddess weapon of mass destruction and make sure all that--

You get the picture.

No caricature, no extended metaphor, no identifiable reference to RL politics beyond any way in which your natural political stance will affect your voting In Game.

Is that clear enough?

And I'm not just talking American politics. I'll just have an easier time noticing references to them than I will references to international politics. So just-- honor system, 'k guys?

I'm sure it won't be a problem.