View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 10:05 AM   #40
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Arthain snapped the book he'd been attempting to read shut abruptly. He couldnt concentrate. He hated to fall out with Melost, but what the elf had said...

He sighed. No, he knew Melost wouldnt have meant it, knew it. But in his mind the words still spun around and around..."He was mocking me Arthain. I will not be mocked, especially not by a-"
By a man?

Surely that wasnt what Melost thought- of Isildur? Of all men? Of Arthain himself? But then, wasnt that always how elves had viewed men...always inferior...

Arthain pushed the disconcerting thought out of his head. Ridiculous idea, it was just the weather getting hum down probably, and the having to camp outside, that was all it was... Putting down the book he strode outside- and just in time apparently. Further away in the camp, he saw two figures, eleven from the graceful way they moved, checking their horses saddled and attached packs to the backs. Straining his eyes, he tried to make out the faces, and could barely believe his eyes as he recognised the pair. Hands over his head against the rain which had now decided to come down in buckets, he ran out towards the pair. The older of the two began to spur on his horse, but was stopped by the younger, who pointed in Arthain's direction. Thankyou Thelian.... Arthain grinned gratefully at the elven squire, before catching hold of Melost's horse's reins.

"Wait!"

"Arthain?" Melost seemed as surprised to see the man as Arthain had been to see Melost leaving. His voice contained a note of guilt. "What are you..?" He checked himself, and continued with a more business like tone. "We are going ahead of the host to Imladris, to announce the coming of Gil-Galad."

"Did you not plan to say goodbye?"

Melost's eyes didn't meet Arthain's. "We would no doubt see each other again at Imladris, Arthain."

"Nay, I think you shall be plently busy enough when you get there, Melost, as shall your betrothed." He chanced a grin at his friend, and Melost looked down in surprise, then, after a pause, smiled back.

"I am forgiven then?" He said softly. Arthain waved irritably at the air in a sharp movement, swatting away the words like flies.

"Ach, for what? I over reacted no doubt. Now, is this an exclusive ride out ahead, or can you bear to wait for a few minutes?"

Now Melost feigned irritation, holding out both hands and staring at the sky. "In this weather?! I will give you five minutes- you'd better hurry, Captain!"

Arthain nodded and smiled back at him before he turned back to his tent to get Dorlas. The boy wouldnt be happy to be summoned so quickly, but no doubt he would be less unhappy than he might have been, going to see the elves before the rest. Inside, Arthain breathed a sigh of relief, glad the air between himself and Melost was clear. If only his thoughts could so easily erase the badness.

"He was mocking me Arthain. I will not be mocked, especially not by a-"
By a man?