View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #23
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Actually this thread takes me back to the pre-movie days, when we used to compete for the top spot on the Tolkien-ranking site 25hobbits.com with (the now defunct, I think) Minas Tirith. Then one day the Spanish language site El Senor de los Anillos rose up through the rankings and whipped everyone by a wide margin. There were accusations of voting irregularities; it got a little ugly.

After the movie rush (we fared better than some sites, at least in part, I think, as Snowdog mentions, because of our book-oriented theme) we were less eager to seek out extra attention.

The movies will probably bring an influx of new members which could make things bumpy for a time, but if last time around was any indication, after the wave recedes many treasures will have washed up on our shores. The new films might also reactivate some long dormant members (fingers crossed).
Well said Mister Underhill. I see by your join date that you too go back to the EZ Board Barrow. I was there too but never got my date changed when the new Barrow was dug out. I remember 25 Hobbits too, and think I voted for both this site and Minas Tirith.com, being I've been a member of both roughly the same amount of time. (They're still around BTW but you're more likely to get into a flame war over Obama or Wikileaks than talk Tolkien these days). This place has been steady, and though I find it hard to try and conform to the stringent rules and regulations of RP here, there has been some well-constructed collaborative writing here over the years.

Yes, with the new movie there will be a wave of interest washing over Tolkien cyberworld, though not as big as the tsunami of 2001-2003. After the mayhem and destruction, gems will remain when the rest washes back out. One thing this coming new wave of 13 year olds will do will be to show the twenty-somethings how annoying they were back in the day with the rabid fandom ... that is if they have an actor as popular as Orlando was then. In the end, it's all good. It could be interesting to see what would happen should this place get on board the popularity poll, and again, maybe not.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote