View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
Corsair_Caruso
Haunting Spirit

Corsair_Caruso has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
I doubt Maeglin would tolerate her rejections. His actions towards Idril may impact how the people of Gondolin would view him as their leader. So I'd think he'd be getting off on the wrong foot forcing himself upon her.
This is a difficult subject to explore. Tolkien stated in Morgoth's Ring that one: actions of lust were rare among the Eldar, and that two: if an Elf is raped, their fëa abandons their body and they go to the Halls of Mandos. Maeglin wants Idril to want him, but he doesn't want to kill her. I do think, however, he might try to manipulate her into accepting him, or make her life miserable if she continues to refuse him, but he won't go so far as to force himself on her.

He might try to force her into a political marriage with one of the Lords of Gondolin to exert control over her and push her into a life she doesn't want, as a consequence of refusing him. Or he might try to cut her off from the rest of the city entirely, isolate her and increase her reliance on him emotionally.
Corsair_Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote