View Single Post
Old 03-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #48
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield ROHAN: Liornung

Liornung could not decide who was more interesting to study... Ędegard or Amroth. Amroth was naturally interesting, as Liornung had never seen him before, but the expression on Ędegard's face made the young fiddler want to laugh. Ędegard was obviously most angry with all three of his companions and perhaps even a bit angry with himself. Liornung noted with approval, however, that Ędegard did not try to let loose any of his rage upon his horse.

Liornung turned to Bellyn and winked at her once again, inwardly deciding that nothing ever said so much as a wink, smile, and nod. She immediately broke into a smile and gazed about her, looking quite content with all of Middle-earth and everyone in it. She had probably been quite agitated at Ędegard's dark expression.

"I also am pleased with all Middle-earth at the moment," Liornung murmured under his breath, and broke into song.

As the sun rose o'er a little river
I left my native home to wander
far away over mountain and plain
ne'er soon to return again.
For my life it was dreary where it did lie
from the soft, dewy grass to the high standing sky
and I wished for adventure and journeys far
to ride under the moon and down under the stars.

As the sun set o'er a little river
when I had left my home to wander
a fair lassie trembled and stood all alone
crying, "Alas, my lover has gone!"
Yet to her again I swear I'll return
and live with her always by my sweet burn
and when I go to her no more will I roam
and with her by the river I'll make a sweet home.

But alas this dream was not to be
for my lassie had no faith in me.
By the river that night she did not wait
for her lover so early or lover so late.
"My love he is gone away under the sky,
my love he has left me alone to die."
And with pale face she ceased to shiver
and she threw herself into the river.

As the sun rose again o'er that little river
I returned early from all my wanders
and found I new grave with my love's name inscribed:
"By the river she died at morning-tide."
I now I wander in sorrow alone
for, alas, my love she has gone.
Yet by the river still waits my love
and soon to the grave I also will rove.

There was a little pause as he finished his song, and then Bellyn spoke, her voice hinting at tears. "Liornung, 'tis a sad song you have sung," she murmured. "It sorrows my heart."

"And mine too, Miss Bellyn," Liornung replied, a deep sigh bursting from him. "Sometimes I wonder why I wrote it." Despite that the sorrow of the song still lingered, he could not keep back a smile. "It came to me one night as I was sitting by a little river," said he. "And I do not know how, for I've never had a fair young lassie for a lover, and I don't think I ever shall for I would make her so miserable." A little chuckle escaped him. "Yet I have seen many a young lad and lassie roam hand in hand through the long grass as the moon shines overhead, speaking in low tender voices to each other, saying such sweet things, and perhaps that is where the song came from." He shrugged. "I find it difficult to compose happy songs for when I'm filled with joy I don't compose songs, I write music. It's only when I am sorrowful that I ever consider writing songs. Alas for the sorrows of the world." And he fell silent.