View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #69
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Linduial almost didn't notice the young ostler approaching them at all, so engrossed was she in looking about herself at the somewhat chaotic courtyard of the Hall. Only at Marenil's sharp surreptitious elbow did she jolt back to reality. "Really?" she asked, with her usual habit of jumping into a conversation with no preambles or introductions. "Doesn't look like much of a hall, now. Looks like..."

Marenil interrupted her smoothly by treading on her toes, preempting the hurt look on the lad's face. He had seen the expression of pride as the boy Léof had introduced himself...it reminded him of himself, many years ago.

"What my lady Linduial of the House of Dol Amroth means to say is that it looks like it is in the process of growing from a fine Hall to a great one, and she wonders if it is ready for us. But your warm welcome tells us all we need to know. We would be happy to let you care for our horses." He threw a significant glance at Lin, pleased to see by her face that she had realized her error and was sorry.

"Oh! Yes!" Hastily Lin rummaged in the dainty, lady-like purse Marenil had insisted she keep out of her trunks and produced a few coins, which she pressed into Léof's hand with an earnest and sunny smile she hoped would make up for her rash statement. When will you learn to think before you act...? she berated herself, surrendering the reins of her tired horse.

Marenil chuckled to himself as she tipped the lad. He knew her every expression. After all, hadn't he served her family since before her father had wed? Served her right to realize she was wrong now and again. "Off with you, girl," he scolded her. "Go ahead and wait for me inside. I'll just be giving the ostler here a bit of a hand."

He took the reins of his own horse, and gestured the boy to lead the way with a smile. As they turned away from Lin's slim form pouting in the doorway he looked down at Léof with a wink. "Never mind her, Léof, lad! She's just a silly girl lets her tongue run off and leaves her wit behind. She means no harm. It's as plain as the nose on my face that this is likely to be the finest hall in the Mark." His tone was kind, and not condescending. He had helped his lord enlarge his own home with every child, he certainly recognized the signs of construction, although he missed the grey stone they built with in Belfalas.

He paused a moment, reminiscing. "And to be part of it at the beginning...I remember my own first job, lad. It's a proud thing."