View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 02:55 AM   #61
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe "Do not take me for some conjuror of cheap tricks!" he said, conjuring a cheap trick.

This thread hasn't been posted on for a year! Yet it hasn't aged a day...

Overall I really enjoyed the look of The Shire, although I had imagined in my own mind that the area around Bag End, at least, would be more built up, with more hobbit holes and less green pasture. I'm grateful that PJ chose to show us quite a few shots of The Shire. I believe it's important to establish this out of the way, idyllic, peaceful part of the countryside, to show what the forces of good were really fighting for. And also to show the rustic background which the hobbits sprang from, so that we can see how they grow in their worldliness and sophistication as the trilogy proceeds.

The interior of Bag End itself was simply marvellous. Every detail was lovingly crafted, from the round door (which they made entirely believable and acceptable, no mean feat IMHO) to Thorin's map.

I don't particularly like the meeting between Gandalf and Frodo. It seems a little forced, to me, especially the maniacal laughter at something which wasn't really all that funny. I can understand PJ wanting to include it to establish that the two had a relationship, but I think that the beginning of the movie would have been just as well without it. For me, the story really begins when we see an old man in a battered hat driving a cart up to Bag End. That would have been a more mysterious and moody opening. Remember that the wizard is one of the most dangerous people in Middle Earth. He loves the hobbits, but I think that Frodo giving him a big soppy hug was a little misplaced, and as for telling him he was late, well downright rude!

All of the scenes involving Bilbo and Gandalf together were absolute gold! McKellan and Holm are both brilliant actors, and put on great performances. "You haven't aged a day" was well done; a hint of something sinister to those familiar with the books (although Bilbo did look significantly older than the 50 year old who discovered the Ring in the prologue). "You want It for yourself!" was just great! Well acted out with the hand movements and all... Bilbo was really riled up!

PJ and co cannot be praised enough for pulling off the perspective shots near flawlessly. The respective sizes of Gandalf and the hobbits were well established and faithfully kept in order.

I enjoyed the party scenes, and thought that Bilbo's disappearance was handled well. It came off as a real surprise! Even to Gandalf, which was not going by the book, but this worked quite well.

I liked the way that the Ring was made into a living character, with Its very own close ups, and even speech?! Although I thought that seeing the Red Eye so early on in the movie was a bit much.