View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #14
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Stigend shook his head and turned to face Léof again as Javan was getting dragged out from the fast trial.

"Oh, sorry Léof, how much did you say you needed?"

“Two lengths of thirty or forty foot rope... if you have it”, Léof answered.

"Hmm... that's a lot. I'm not sure how much we have it. The kids should have the ropes unpacked though...", Stigend glanced backwards only to notice the children following the incidence with Javan with a keen interest. There were only two bunches of rope unloaded in the grass at their feet.

"Cnebba, Garmund! Did you guys have something to do?" Hesitantly the two boys turned away from the tying of Javan and went back to the carts searching for the ropes peering backwards every now and then.

"I can't promise you that now but we'll soon find out." Stigend regretted. "But would you like to join me and Garstan while the kids search for the ropes? We'll be going to check the ruins for the ridgepole."

Léof looked surprised. "But hasn't it all burned down?"

"It looks like it did. But in longhouses like this the ridgepole is normally supported from under with slimmer deal planks which tend to burn fast thus letting the ridgepole to fall down early giving it a chance to survive the fire. They are valuable things as long, straight and thick trees are hard to find. And it would save us a lot of work if we could use a ready carved ridgepole to our baker without needing to fall, peel and carve two or more shorter trees from around."