View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
I will try to respond to both ArcusCalion and Findegil.

1) No problem.

2) Yeah, it seems both names are valid for all time so using them interchangeably should be fine.

3) Thanks for the explanations. I have one questions:

Quote:
‘When Celeborn returned later to Doriath she [Galadriel] passed east over the mountains [Hithaeglir] and forsook Beleriand
What makes you conclude the mountains here are referring to the Misty Mountains? In Note 10 of Chapter VI of HoME 12 where this is taken from, it states the original text read she "passed over the mountains into Eriador ere the coming of Fionwe" but was changed to "passed east over the mountains and forsook Beleriand". It seems clear in the original text that the mountains referred to are the Ered Luin. It is not as explicit in the second text, but the statement "forsook Beleriand" makes me think the mountains are still the Ered Luin. You're right, Galadriel and Celeborn's movements are incredibly complex, I think mostly owing to Tolkien's constantly changing conceptions.

4) It's fine either way, it just seemed redundant to me so close to the discussion of his heritage.

5) The reason why I tried to add in some more about Amdir is because he fits the chapter title (he is a Sindarin prince of the Silvan elves). But I couldn't find any text which would fit nicely into the chapter. I think just having the brief mention of him as you originally had it is the best way to go.
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote