View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #69
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Michael Graham Cox (another cast member who has passed away - he died in 1995) was born in 1938, so would have been 40 when the Bakshi movie came out, & 43 when the series did.

Again, its a matter of taste & what sounds right to the individual listener. To me he didn't sound 'old', so much as gruff & haughty. As for 40 being 'young', I can only quote Indiana Jones: "Its not the years, its the mileage...."

I suspect most people would seem young to Theoden.
It doesn't matter much, though, that M.G.C. was 43 when the series was created, because Boromir's age cannot be measured by normal man years. Boromir was not "old" by any standards. It is a matter of indiviual opinion, like you said, and M.G.C. just does not fit the bill for me. Boromir's voice, to me, was deep, strong, and clear. M.G.C. does not come across with those qualities in my opinion.

I don't think that comment on Theoden is too fair. He called Boromir young because that was what he was!