View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
NA-EX-61: I don't doubt that Tolkien would have re-written this dialogue quite differently; but we are constrained to make the minimal change. I think that perhaps we could just leave it at:

Quote:
NA-EX-61<Ap Narn /by Turambar,/ a master of another name>."
I think that the reference would be clear. If not, we might also try:

Quote:
NA-EX-61<Ap Narn /by Turambar, for the Dragon Helm has found/ a master of another name>."
. . . only because that phrasing sounds a little more natural to me. But these are just minor details; in principle, your line is fine.

NA-EX-62: I think it's fine to put the name here. After all, we must artificially insert it either here or in WH, and I don't see any reason to prefer one over the other. So it seems to me that putting it in at the first reference to the stone is more natural.

Quote:
In addition to the numbered points there is a further case that must be considered: “Then they lifted up Túrin, and saw that his sword was broken asunder. So passed all that he possessed.”
This was one of my reservations about extending the history of the Helm past Amon Rudh. I'm still not inclined to add the Helm into WH. Would not the simplest solution be:

Quote:
Then they lifted up Túrin, and saw that his sword was broken asunder. {So passed all that he possessed}.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote