View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #68
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Aeron touched Gwyllion's braided hair that hung 'round his neck. "No, I haven't," he said softly. "The last dream I have had was just that...a dream. I saw my sister dead, but as she is already dead and cannot die again, I know that is all it was."

He concentrated on the pebbles on the ground. He missed his sister, and wondered when next she would tiptoe into his sleep once more. "By the by," he said, "why do you ask?"

And so Raefindan told him of the girl Indil's dreams. "I remember that Gwyllion spoke of Indil, do you remember? Somehow, I think that our paths are intertwined. But I don't know how."

He stared at Mellondu, who seemed to be brooding to himself, and bit his lip. "Indil," he said, "have you ever heard a lovely little song about a lady called Nimrodel?"

The child shook her head.

"One of our companions sang it once to me some time ago, and I've become rather fond of it."

Aeron cleared his throat before he began. "An Elven-maid there was of old, A shining star by day.
Her mantle white was hemmed with gold, Her shoes of silver-grey.

The melody was lilting and smooth, a little like a calm sea he thought.

...Where now she wanders none can tell, In sunlight or in shade;
For lost of yore was Nimrodel And in the mountains strayed.

Aeron stopped, turned to Red, and said, "In the mountains strayed? Indil's women were in the mountains, weren't they?"