View Single Post
Old 06-19-2004, 04:15 AM   #23
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Koran

It was Koran's turn to be surprised now at the note of bitterness in Ehan's voice, although he made no comment upon the melancholy, wise-before-his-time statement. Brother, sister, parent? There are few Southrons now who can boast no losses to their family, and then, what is that to boast of? There was a silence between the two men as each struggled inwardly - Koran disagreed, but it would be insensitive to say so when it was obvious from Ehan's uncharacteristically downcast face that there was a reason for such an outburst. Maybe one day he would understand Koran's point of view - the captain understood, after all, what Ehan meant...

“However, I had a question for you, captain Koran. Do you know when exactly we leave, and where exactly we are going? I know only that I am under your command, and that we go off in unison with the rabbit-minded creatures.” Ehan broke the silence, shifting to lighter, business-like matters. Koran grinned at the reference in the last sentence, but couldn't hide his shock.

"You have not been told where we are going? Did your clan not tell you before we..." he trailed off, as the answer was evident from the boy's face. Shrugging, he explained. "Fair enough, I..." would have expected the soldiers to be told where they were going. He shrugged again, then smoothed a patch of dusty earth in front of where he sat, his legs crossed, and used his dagger to demonstrate a map, tracing out and pinpointing certain landmarks and the army's path. "The army heads West through what remains of Mirkwood on this side, marching until we come to the banks of the Great River. I suspect this shall take...say four, five days? Here, there shall be a split." He traced a sketchier, lighter line up along the banks of 'the Great River' which he had thumbed in the loose, sandy earth. Pinpointing this line with his dagger tip like a schoolteacher pointing to a diagram (although Koran would have known little about the comparison), he looked up at Ehan. "This is us. We split from the rest of the army, along with a small force of Southrons and, yes, some of the 'rabbits'-" he raised an eyebrow as he said this, a grin flickering across his lips. "-and attack from a more Northerly point. This means-"

"Wait...attack...where?"

Koran stared at Ehan, astonished that he hadn't even been informed of where they were attacking. But from Ehan's face, looking at the sketchy map, he guessed the bright young man had worked it out, even if he was not particularly wise in this area of Middle Earth. He sketched a few runes on the point of the map the two parts of the army were attacking. "Why...Lorien of course. We attack the elves."