View Single Post
Old 01-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #327
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Falco & Eodwine

"You are safe here."

"I hope so. "I'm afraid!" The girl called Gudryn sobbed and squeezed Eodwine's hand with all the strength she could, but her grip was to him frail as a maple leaf clinging to its branch in November. Gudryn. 'Twas a good Rohirric name. No maiden of the Rohirrim should be treated so.

"Fear not," he answered. "I am a messenger of King Éomer himself. I followed him into battle in the War and survived. Doubt not that I can keep some besotted cur from harming you." She looked up at him gratefully. Trust was in her eyes. Good.

"Whoever this rascal is," said Falco through his pipe, "he's beyond the law if we was in the Shire."

"'Tis so here as well, my friend," Eodwine said, watching the girl, "'tis so here as well." For a long time Gudryn held his hand tightly, and he stood there calm and sure, despite the growing pain in his back form his slouch. At last she fell asleep and her grip loosened. Eodwine slid his hand from hers and pulled himself straight up, stretching.

"'Tis time to get the girl to a proper bed," said Ruthven.

Eodwine lifted her, her sleep undisturbed, and brought her to the room Bethberry had prepared. When they had laid her to rest, Eodwine suggested that they all share a watch, for they knew not who the ruffian was, and he might come for the girl in the night if he learned where she was.

"Who will split the night's watch with me?" Eodwine asked.

"Don't think you're going to take all the heroism to youself, Master Eodwine," Falco said, puffing on his pipe, "not while I'm here to show you up!"

"Very well! We shall split the watch in two unless any others wish to join our vigil."