View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #70
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
WCH - In essence, I agree with much of what you have said. I do suspect that the source for this information was not a Tolkien person who knows the books very well. I also suspect that they are confusing references in both THE HOBBIT and in LOTR that are made about events from the First and Second Ages as well as other events in the Third Age not seen in LOTR films. Of course the legal excuse for this would be the appendices. There are enough people, places and events named there to fill several movies providing someone would be willing to fill in the gaps creating dialogue.

I know nothing of this rumor beyond what I posted. However, I have always felt that a filmmaker who owned the rights to LOTR and The HOBBIT could make several films about the events mentioned in the appendices and books themselves if they were bold and creative and willing to chance the legal difficulties that may arise.

Do you really think a judge or court wants to spend the time necessary to distinguish between the mention of the Silmarils and Beren and Luthien as mentioned in LOTR and what is explained much further in the SIL?
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote