View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 06:59 PM   #55
Marigold Hedgeworth
Pile O'Bones

Marigold Hedgeworth has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It's been pretty well established that Boromir was no mistake, so I'm just going to do some musing on Elrian's thoughts about the dreams.

Quote:
It is said that Ulmo can advise by direct appearance, by dreams or through the music of the waters. It may be that Ulmo caused the dreams of Boromir and Faramir.
I really like this idea, and it seems to make sense, particularly when you couple it with Faramir's last 'meeting' of his brother, while he's keeping watch by the Anduin. It's hardly possible that Boromir's body stayed in its boat all that distance, 'specially after going down Rauros. Who better to 'protect' him and send him to his family than the Lord of the Waters?

Also, Faramir says about the boat that

Quote:
It seemed to me...that it was almost filled with clear water, from which came the light.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but the whole luminescent water thing seems to proclaim Ulmo's intervention pretty loudly. Maybe he was wrapping up his involvement with the family -- 'washing his hands' of the whole affair. Pun intended [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] .

Mari

--G.K. Chesterton
Marigold Hedgeworth is offline   Reply With Quote