View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #29
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Smug the Fabulous has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post

It's a long shot but since Beren has this no kill policy and the animals help him, I wonder if they also might provide him with no kill non vegetable material (vegetarian is not vegan). The birds bringing him any eggs the laid that did not hatch (or even bringing ALL of their eggs and letting Beren candle them, so he could eat the non fertile ones fresh) Or even (though this is a little silly) Mother deer coming to him and standing still after they had suckled their fawns, that Beren might milk them of their excess for his own sustenance.
Well, it could be that or Beren still eats meat but he just says the animals he killed were servants of Morgoth. So one day, Beren is feeling peckish when sees a chicken and thus makes quick sport of it with his sword.

MAN: I thought you did not eat the flesh or slay any living thing that was not in the service of Morgoth?

BEREN: I do not.

MAN: Then why did you kill that chicken?

BEREN: Oh...er...well, you see, erm...Morgoth...corrupted...this...chicken. Yes, that's it. And we can't have evil chickens in times like these.

MAN: ...right.
"It is everywhere. It is everything. Its scales glisten in the bark of trees. Its roar is heard in the wind. And its forked tongue strikes like... *lightning strikes* whoa! Like lightning!"-Merlin, Excalibur(1981)
Smug the Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote