View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 06:34 AM   #25
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It seems we are going straightforward into a discussion of the story of Eärendil. But why not? It is chapter as each other. (Okay, it is one of the harder ones, if not the hardest of all, but what's the matter?)

To the Elessar: I have also re-read the thread about it and I agree with Maedhros that Celebrimbor must be a descendant of Feanor since that is stated in the Lord of The Rings. And I see no way to get him to Gondolin and give the jewel to Idril. It is correct that Tolkien was not satisfied with the making of the first jewel by some one else. If Tolkien would have come back to the story after he changed Celebrimbor to a descendant of Feanor he would have found some other solution, but we can only work with what we have.
And what we have is the story of Enerdhil. In my view it fits very well with the Gondolin theme at all. Gondolin was a refuge of the greatest scientific and artificers among the Noldor as we learn from the presents of Pengolodh. And if we keep the story that the Elessar was made in Gondolin and given to Idirl by some one else that Celebrimbor, than I can't see any reason why we would not keep the Name Enerdhil for that jewel-smith. I think that we even should keep the friendship of Celebrimbor and Enerdhil, not naming were it took place.

At last we come to the Oarni. Yes we kept the mechanical monsters in FoG. But I provided some later sources were we got hinds of mechanical devices, which were used, in battles. I can't see in the moment anything like that for the Oarni. But I have not intensely look for it. So we my find such hinds. What is nearest to it in my mind in the moment is the naming of Goldberry as "the River-woman's daughter".

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote