View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 08:06 PM   #215
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Gilly

Gilly eyed Toby Longholes with some unease as he sat wielding a dagger so close to Miss Benia. Miss Benia’s very own dagger mind you! But Mr. Dúlrain had expressed some confidence in him, and a ranger’s intuition was not to taken lightly. So Gilly tried to hold her tongue, but still kept a watchful eye on him, and rode just a little behind her fellow hobbit, lest he attempt to disappoint them all.

True he had seemed quite rattled at the crossing, as she herself had been. And despite all the damp and distress, had received her quite cordially, as she attempted to cheer him. She had, in fact, confessed that she was thankful that she did not have to bring home to Bywater the news that she had been witness to the end of Mr. Toby Longholes, as many her friends had pinned their hopes on him in those days when he lived in the Shire, where perhaps unwittingly he had stolen a few hearts as well. And on occasion would still mention him too, when things weren’t going well with their husbands. Toby had become the mysterious and handsome lone wolf in their minds. A foreign hobbit who had slipped into town, eliciting all manner of speculation on his marriage prospects, and then disappeared again without a trace, leaving Gilly to suffer through her friends’ broken-hearted wistfulness.

She had never quite understood their romantic draw to the sharp featured stranger, who seemed to prefer the company of the town’s malcontents and agitators more than its more respectable denizens. It had certainly done little to encourage a better opinion of him at the time. But never mind, those black days lay far away and they had more immediate troubles at hand.

Fortunately Mr. Longholes seemed to be up to showing a little of his worth by the look of him, and that she did find most encouraging, indeed. She even dared to hope that there might be more than a base metal under his tarnished reputation; something just a bit nobler than he had thus far let on.

She sighed as she thought how far removed from their past two hobbits could be, and how they both appeared to be so much changed. It was as if this travel and the fast moving river had ground off the well-worn veneer from life, and spit them out to stand dazed on its far bank. Of course saving one’s one skin is impetus enough to help in battling orcs. But she too had had to change, steeling herself to do whatever was necessary to help see her friends as well as herself safely to Imladris, and there hopefully find an end to Naiore. A sad rag-tag lot they were, only Kaldir seeming to have the will to press on.

Searching for her pocket and the smooth comfort of her tatting shuttle, she was reminded that both pocket and shuttle were now were gone, as well as her knife, which she imagined had sunk in the river. And her pocket, along with the pinafore itself, the material of which was bought in such seemingly frivolous times, had been called upon to serve as a much-needed dressing. Pressed tight against the ranger’s side it was serving a far better purpose than it ever had, staunching the flow of life’s blood that had seemed to leave it’s host only too willingly, rendering Dúlrain so very pale that he had began to look as though his fine features were carved of some type of warm hued marble. It frightened her.

Poor Mr. Dúlrain, so brave. It hardly was right that he should be suffering so, and when that vile elf who had wronged so many could still walk about. And there also, Miss Benia, so distraught and in her own pain which she once more concealed. And though it broke Gilly’s heart to see, she wanted so desperately to be of some help to them. For certainly she would have been lost long ago without their having guided her through this unfamiliar land. Seeing that she risked growing melancholy, she plucked herself up, and willingly closed her mind’s eye, that she might better see what was around her. And glad she was of it too, for at that moment something caught her attention under the trees. Benia had seen it too and sitting tall in her saddle reined in her horse giving a noiseless signal to stop, as she studied the boughs before them.

In a moment Kaldir road up beside her, and after a few hushed words, helped his comrade to regain his own his own mount, before turning Nico and his attention to the shadowy grove ahead. Drawing his sword, he started in the direction of the trees, alone.

Alarmed, Gilly urged the pack pony along side the great grey horse as it made its way. “Mr. Kaldir, what are you doing?”

“I’m going to see who awaits us in the trees,” he said with a smile. “If it is elves, it shall be are deliverance. If it is orcs, I should be able to hold them off long enough for the rest of you to make your escape. Ride back in the direction of the falls. It will buy you time. Do not stop if you see me fall.”

“But-“ Gilly began.

“Cheers, Mrs. Banks!” was all Kaldir said as he raised his sword and departed. Gilly was shocked and followed dumbly for a short distance. She would never leave if she saw Mr. Kaldir fall. How could she, when all he seemed to have in this world was Dúlrain, who himself seemed beyond their care? How could he think her capable of it? She would not simply let a pack of orcs have the man without a fight from her, no matter how short lived that fight might be. Even small and fragile insects can deal out death and why should she not too bother those who might harm to those she counted as her friends?

Quickly looking over her shoulder to Miss Benia and the others, she too held up her sword and saluted them before turning to follow Kaldir, already under the shadow of the trees. If there were orcs Mr. Kaldir would not defend their group alone, she vowed. Galloping across to were Nico stood motionless, Gilly was relieved to find that it was indeed elves that they had glimpsed moving among the deep shadows, and Kaldir now spoke with them.

As Gilly quietly approached, she heard a tall elf asking Kaldir if there were any among his group who could fight. The Ranger answered that he was the only one and offering to join in the battle he put his sword at their disposal. Riding up then Gilly felt awkward, not knowing if she might offend them, but swallowing hard she blurted out, “Please sir, I could also help if needed, for the Shire as yielded more surprising things in the past than a housewife brandishing a sword, and I would be honored to help defend both my fellow travelers and Imladris.”

All eyes looked toward Kaldir questioningly. And seeing that the elves deferred to him, Gilly also sought for his answer. Turning to address the hobbit, the man spoke most gently to her. “While I value such an offer Mrs. Banks, I would propose that you might be of more benefit to your companion Miss Nightshade and Dúlrain, as they make their way to their refuge.

“But you are also my friend sir,” Gilly declared, “And I would not see you hurt, and without me there to aid you.”

“Then as my friend, I will entrust you with all that I value. Do not put yourself in harm’s way, but encourage them as you might, for I will count on you to help deliver Dúlrain safely to Imladris, and I think Miss Nightshade may require your aid in accomplishing this.'“ And seeing Gilly’s crestfallen looks he added, “It would give me much peace of mind to know that such a tenacious guardian was with them on the way.”

“This I will do, if I cannot fight along side you,” the hobbit conceded reluctantly. “For the rangers have long protected that which I hold most dear and I would willingly return the favor. Though in my heart I fear that I may not see you again.”

“You will see me again,” Kaldir said. And thus the matter was decided.

Quickly, Kaldir and the elves made their way to where Dúlrain remained barely seated on his horse, Benia’s amber eyes scanning the terrain for their enemies as they again moved toward the stair. Gilly could see the disfigured forms of the orcs moving toward them in the confusion, but always Kaldir or one of the elves struck them down or carefully aimed arrows brought a lethal rain upon them before they reached the center of the knot, where lay Dúlrain.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 02-20-2004 at 04:19 PM.