Thread: Tolkien & Lewis
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2002, 08:16 PM   #18
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome, Child of Eru [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, I have seen elsewhere references to Tolkien's disapproval of Lewis' eclecticism, and the point that Tolkien's Catholicism is considerably different to Lewis' adopted Anglicanism. Perhaps Tolkien also disapproved of Lewis marrying a divorcee, as has been suggested.

It's been said they were not "unfriends" despite this, which is quite a profound description. I guess we all know people we no longer associate with, yet who are not 'unfriends' [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Child of Eru, I think the suggestion that Tolkien's cosmology was of a unified Norse origin may be a little contentious. His intention was to create a specifically English mythology (he disapproved of Malory's Arthur because of its French character AND because of its explicit association with Christianity) and (arguably) to re-invigorate fairy-tale.

Whilst his influences and linguistic interests may well have been Scandinavian, I am not convinced that he was simply re-inventing Norse mythos. You will also encounter many on these boards who argue strongly that Tolkien was writing Christian allegory, or that the Biblical influence was at least as strong (and certainly more 'important', in all senses of the word) as any other. The excellent - and long - Trilogy and Bible thread is really worth a read, there is plenty of stimulating debate there from all sides!

Again, welcome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote