View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #91
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril Track 18: May it Be

Happy Friday, everyone! TGIF to the max.

We have come to the final track of FotR; this consists of Enya's song followed by an instrumental finale. Lyrics:

Quote:
May it be an evening star
Shines down upon you
May it be when darkness falls
Your heart will be true
You walk a lonely road
Oh, how far you are from home

Mornië utúlië
Believe and you will find your way
Mornië alantië
A promise lives within you now

May it be the shadow's call
Will fly away
May it be you journey on
To light the day
When the night is overcome
You may rise to find the sun

Mornië utúlië
Believe and you will find your way

Mornië alantië

"May it Be" itself sounds much like Enya's other songs -- in my opinion, this is not a bad thing. It does have the gentle string and vocal accompaniment that she uses often in her songs. Parts of the melodic line are similar to the Shire theme.

I like the use of "Mornië utúlië / Mornië alantië" (Darkness has come / Darkness has fallen) -- I think these were the first Elvish phrases I ever learned. The point that there are indeed dark forces at hand is addressed, but other parts of the lyrics, such as "believe and you will find your way," have a message of hope and encouragement. The lyrics as a whole remind me of the Irish blessing:

Quote:
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.
And note that all the "blessings" given in "May it Be" will eventually come true -- a star will even shine down upon Sam in Mordor.

When the song is over, we hear the Shire and Fellowship themes, first soft and then rising in triumph. While this part of the story ends on a sad note (Boromir's death, the breaking of the Fellowship), it's still evident that there is strength left in the sundered friends.

Since the bulk of this track is taken up by the song, let's talk about that, shall we? How do the lyrics apply to the situations at hand? And to which character(s) do you think the lyrics are directed?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote