View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #2290
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
So they're using trees to support the ridgepole (the long one across the top, right?)? And Leof's going to climb up into the tree, and then something with a rope...? Is it going to be like a pulley to get the ridgepole up that high?
Basically like that.

They have three big trees in a row. Garmund and Cnebba will take ropes over the stout branches (somewhere at 5-7 yards high or something) and Stigend will take the hardest one where there will be no branch at the right level.

After the long ropes are taken over the branches by the three climbers (kids & Stigend) they will drop the other ends of the ropes down (so they make a loop over the branch). The ridgepole will be tied to the other ends left down in the beginning and then it can be "pulleyed" up pulling from the ends the kids and Stigend throw back down.

Then Léof needs to climb up and help pulling the weighty pole over the branch it should rest on - like Harreld and... well Stigend has a harder one as he needs to make it hang by a rope steadily at the same height as the other two. The kids will come back down as it might be dangerous to them and surely they don't have the strength to do it.

(Why I wish to make that third one a bit more problematic? Well it would be too easy and unbelievable if there just were three trees that had good thick branches at the exact same height so that they just needed to pull the pole over them...)

I hope you got my plan...