View Single Post
Old 04-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #192
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Helen,
I would like to know what littlemanpoet says about it, but I personally don't see what the problem would be with a Rohirric family that wandered about. After all, Liornung is of Rohan and he wanders about. Just a warning, lmp..... if you don't like it I'd like a valid reason why they shouldn't be in there. I would have to come up with a new character to introduce to the game other than the one I was already intending, which would be a bit of a bother yet I could manage. The main problem is that I've already grown a bit attached to this character I plan to introduce and would hate to have it discarded.

The Old English word for 'wander' is scrişan and 'travel' is faran. However I don't know Old English grammar and wouldn't know how to change it to 'wanderers' or 'wandering people.' If anyone more knowledgable would like to help out...? Of course there could always be an adaption of the name as for gypsies.

If you really detest me using the word gypsy I shan't, but I think it is a very enchanting word and like to use it. That, however, is not a very good reason for using it. I just believe that a word of that sort would also appeal to Liornung's imagination. Somehow the Old English words for wander and travel don't hold the same enchantment.

Interesting discussion, by the way.