View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 01:17 AM   #46
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think we also have to remember that Frodo is older than Sam. I can imagine Sam first meeting Frodo as a young child, helping his dad in Bilbo's garden. Probably he was introduced to him as 'Mr. Frodo', & had called him that from then on.

I can't help wondering also, in the Light of Mark 1230's comments on the significance of Frodo's dreams in the last chapter, if there's any significance in the last paragraph:

Quote:
Frodo felt sleep coming upon him, even as Gildor finished speaking. 'I will sleep now,' he said; and the Elf led him to a bower beside Pippin, and he threw himself upon a bed and fell at once into a dreamless slumber
Why doesn't Frodo dream when he's with the elves? And more importantly, why does Tolkien feel its important to point it out? Its the last thing we're left with, the final image of the chapter.

Last edited by davem; 07-11-2004 at 03:50 AM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote