The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2002, 07:13 PM   #1
Thuringwethil

White-Hand Evil Women

So, can people name me some female villians of middle earth. Please include some background information on her, so I can know who is being talked about. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:47 PM   #2
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Naturally, Shelob and Ungoliant come to mind, and one could call Lobelia S-B a villian if one were so inclined. Otherwise, who knows? Why do you want female villians?
Old 05-20-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Thuringwethil!!!
Are you designing a character for an RPG. Other than Shelob and Ungoliant as mentioned before, I can't recall any women of evil intent. Not sure there were even any female Orcs.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:02 PM   #4
Lossenavariel
Pile O'Bones

Lossenavariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shelob wasn't really a woman... I mean, she was female, but not really a woman.... does that make sense?
Old 05-20-2002, 09:02 PM   #5
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only other one that I can think of is Queen Berthueil (sp). She is mentioned on FotR by Aragorn in the Mines of Moria.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:57 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Hmmm, the Faithful Four; Lobelia, Shelob, Ungoliant and Queen Beruthiel. Can't really think of anyone else who doesn't live exclusively in the appendices, but if you don't mind those characters there is always Tar-Ancalime, who wasn't exactly easy to get along with. Odd that all of these villainesses (except for Lobelia, and she's kind of iffy anyway) are queens? Beruthiel and Tar-Ancalime, obviously, and even Shelob and Ungoliant are essentially the ruling queens of their highly unpleasant species. There's no grubby female equivalent to Gollum, and no female Ugluk or Saruman. Most interesting...
Old 05-21-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Were any of the dragons female? They were corrupted by Morgoth and were creatures of evil.

It seems as if most of the women in the LOTR and Silmarillion were more victims of evil machinations and not corrupted into being evil themselves.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:35 PM   #8
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree, Queen Beruthial was one, Tar-Ancalime can be considered one, Ungoliant, and Shelob. But isn't there also that Vampire one that Luthien changed into. I think it was Thuringwethil, something like that. And I think someone has that name too! Ok, let me think if there are any others....well, ok I know this is mentioned in some book, and I posted something like this in the orc women topic, but I read (sorry forget which book, although I think it's Unfinished Tales) but I read somewhere that before the Rohirrim came to settle right above Gondor, they used to live in Mirkwood somewhere, am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong. They used to be in fights with the Easterlings and such, and the Easterling women were very fierce and would fight the men to protect their homes and such because the men would burn them. So, you can kinda consider the Easterling women evil, cuz sometimes they'd even kill them.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:04 PM   #9
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lothiriel: If you were to consider the Easterling women evil just because they defended their homes and lives from men who would burn them, doesn't that make the people of Rohan and Gondor evil too, since they defended themselves as well? Yes, killing is very evil. But I think this is a double standard: Gondorians and Rohirrim can kill because they're 'good guys', and... Easterlings (or the women anyway) can't? Sorry, this will be controversial but its also very confusing.
but back to the topic... There don't seem to be any other than those already mentioned. If you want to study any, I'd say Queen Beruthiel because not a lot of people know much about her, and her story is kinda mysterious.

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: Aosama, the Wandering Star ]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:41 PM   #10
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

As far as Tar-Ancalimë, I can not say anything, as I do not know all of her story. Thuringwethil - The ‘Woman of Secret Shadow’, the vampire servant of Morgoth was definatly evil. I had forgotten about her. BTW, which version is that story in, is the Sil, BoLT2 or Lays? I hate to ask, but I read all three at the same time [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 05-23-2002, 12:12 AM   #11
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Take a look at this link Tar-Ancalime.

Interesting story!