The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Sting Middle Earth Idol

When I saw the World Idol show, one of the judges told the winner, Kurt Nilsen, that he looked like a hobbit, and if they were looking for ME Idol, He'd definetly win. Who do you think would have won?
Old 01-29-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Umm, do you mean out of ME characters or from the World Idol competition? If you meant the former:
Gandalf sang a bit in "Fellowship of the Ring," Pippin and Aragorn sang in "Return of the King," and Frodo sang in the animated version of "The Lord of the Rings." Out of the four, I'd have to go with Pippin, he has fan appeal, and a good voice. Gandalf didn't really sing too much, and from what I heard in the movie he didn't really know the words either. Frodo wasn't too bad, but he didn't sing much either, he just didn't have it. Aragorn sounded a little flat, or at least monotone, but his voice in and of itself wasn't that bad.

Well, there's my opinion; who's next?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:06 AM January 29, 2004: Message edited by: Nimrothiel ]
Old 01-29-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I totally agree that Pippin would probably win a ME Idol, If you are comparing it to the Movies. He had great tone and that song is one of the things I listen to over and over again when I'm listening to my ROTK soundtrack.

But if you go by the Books, I think that Legolas does most of the good singing (wordwise at least). He sings the most, and most of the Lyrics are the kind that would give you warm fuzzies if you actually heard them aloud. What do you think?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #4
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Pippin most likely. Even though she doesn't really sing all that much, Goldberry has a fair chance. Galadriel could do that hey-i'm-an-elf-witch-and-you-cannot-deny-me thing and win, I mean, who wants to say "you are most definately the worst singer I have ever heard" to someone who's as treacherous as the sea (which happens to be pretty trecherous).

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It'd be quite a contest if the judges hung about in the Hall of Fire! I wonder how well Bilbo and "the Dunedain"'s epic "Earendil was a mariner..." would go over with the general crowd of Middle Earth? (Maybe "the Dunedain" could be some mystery figure to be slowly revealed to boost sales...) Although the simplicity of Frodo's song of Gandalf in Lothlorien would probably have lots of crowd appeal too. Perhaps a rhyming tune from Sam about trolls or oliphaunts? Aragorn's song of Tinuviel, the short version? (What's the name of that form again?) Can anyone tell I don't watch TV at all? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. I take my leave. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (See Actor's Quotes III quotes quiz thread for the full story if you've a stomach for pointless silliness...)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As we all know, Idol judges aren't just looking for a good voice, they're looking for someone with the right 'look' and a strong stage presence.

So, Frodo's out, because anyone who's seen the movies knows that his major move is fainting, which doesn't really do much to work a crowd.

Pippin... I dunno. I can see a horrible judge with a british accent on the panel telling him he's just too short for a career in pop music.

Sam's not classy enough.

Gollum: He'd be excellent, if only he sang. He's certainly got the crazy dancing down pat.

Depending on who's voting, Legolas may or may not be in with a chance. In some countries, a blond elf would be too 'convetional' to have much hope.

If Galadriel could do the same creepy radioactive glow thing she did in the movies, I suppose that could count in the looks (weird) and stage presence (scary) categories.

But overall, I think it'd come down to two contestants: Gandalf, because he can breakdance (he was taught by the master, Saruman, you know), and Aragorn, because he's the King and he did take disco lessons back in the day. (If Boromir wasn't dead, he'd probably be in the running too, since he's already got the fans doing the wave.)

And since 90% of the voting population seems to be teenage girls, I think the obvious winner would be Aragorn.

I wonder what he'd sing after his win was announced?
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
So, Frodo's out, because anyone who's seen the movies knows that his major move is fainting, which doesn't really do much to work a crowd.
What about his rousing rendition of the "Man in the Moon" verse in the Prancing Pony? It had the entire bar going! And then the denouement of disappearing right in front of everyone! I think "book Frodo" definitely has a chance, if they catch him before that darned Quest! He has the right combination of eccentricity, affability and downright unpredictability. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Pippin... I dunno. I can see a horrible judge with a british accent on the panel telling him he's just too short for a career in pop music.
And I could see Pippin leaving and returning on stilts, or perhaps on Merry's shoulders, just to be persnickety and have a bit more fun with it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. Sam's not classy enough, but Gollum would be perfect if he sang? (insert icon for scratching head in confusion here...) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Sting

If Gollum spruced up "The Fissssssh Song" enough, he could easily steal the contest. He's crazy, agile, freakishly thin, doesn't need contacts, and he's got that adorable accentuation of the letter s.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #9
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

*waves to Ashton* Hihihi! Good to see you here! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Enjoy thy deceasedness here at the 'downs!

Well, I personally think Frodo would win with the song he sang in the inn.
(There is an inn, a merry old inn...)
Or maybe Pippin with the bath song...but then, maybe that's just my Pippin obsession talking.

~Hobbits Rock! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] ~
Old 01-30-2004, 01:18 AM   #10
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Maybe you could get Witch-king to sing "Invisible"... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:43 AM   #11
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was thinking at first that good old Tom Bombadil would easily win, but then, he sings too much. He'd have to relase double CD concept albums a la Pink Floyd with The Wall or something.

Maybe, with all his knowledge and all, he would be a judge:

"I once knew a boy called Brandybuck,
Who when it came to singing was known to suck.
Tralalee tralaloo with a doobie doo"

PS as someone from the country who invented Pop Idol, and World Idol etc etc (Britain), from the depths of my heart:

I am sory for my nation's wrongdoing to music.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #12
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I second that apology from Angry Brandybuck, Pop Idol was bad enough, but world Idol? That was too too far.

I believe Bilbo would win, he writes his own lyrics and music, he can disappear (this is pre-quest) and he doesn't age! What could be better for a pop idol than that?

Or he could be one of the ones that is voted out and then goes on to become better than the winner anyway.

~Hobbits all the way!~
Old 01-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #13
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Pippin (Billy Boyd) would definitely win with that voice.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:02 PM   #14
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Quote:
I wonder what he'd sing after his win was announced?
Hmm... let's see... will the song "I Will Survive..." suffice? Oh wait, that's probably better for Frodo. He definitely needs that extra survival boost.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 06:23 PM   #15
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
will the song "I Will Survive..." suffice?
I'd been thinking, and came up with "I just can't wait to be king" from The Lion King. Of course, movie-Aragorn doesn't want to be king, so there's a problem.
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:48 AM   #16
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Aragorn and Arwen can do "Can you feel the love tonight?" as a duet.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:43 AM February 02, 2004: Message edited by: Thorongil ]
Old 02-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #17
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
one of the judges told the winner, Kurt Nilsen, that he looked like a hobbit
That would be our judge Dicko, (Australia) what a champ!

Please dont tell me you have forgotten about Boromir our fantastic Disco King. He's got the moves at least, who cares about the voice! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 PM   #18
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Miriel Undomiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Miriel Undomiel
Sting

Could be pretty nasty, though...
Gimli doing the same act as that guy from Germany. *shudders* [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 02:49 AM   #19
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Denethor could do the song that guy from England sang. that would have been quite funny.
"Come on baby, light my fire." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #20
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rofl! I just imagined Denethor singing "Come on Baby Light my Fire;" with the British guy's voice!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
I'm very, very strange; no? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Seriously, that Brit (no offense to anyone on here who happens to be of that origin) totaly trashed that song. "The Doors" was a rock group, not a boy band. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
I still maintain that Pippin would win in a hypothetical ME Idol.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #21
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What about Eowyn? She sang in Two Towers Extended and she is the Disco Queen. Maybe she wouldn't win but there has to be more than one female contestant or I'll come out in a rash of feminism.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 02:24 AM   #22
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Im going to get sharp objects thrown at me here, but I wouldnt let Billy through...

(as much as we love Billy!) Becuase, yes, his vioce is very melodical (and nice), but I dont think it has enough projection (but thats only becuase im in musical theatre, im picky like that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ). Now if Mirand- I mean, Éowyn tried to pull off a number, I think she could do it very well, becuase she has that "oomph" in her voice, know what I mean?

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-04-2004, 02:47 AM   #23
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

What's all this about Boromir being a disco king? Have I missed something?
Old 02-04-2004, 02:50 AM   #24
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Yep, even though it happened close to a year ago now, probably less but it was started by Oddwen (?) and Boromir was the disco King, it was on the Make your own crazy scene with pics thread.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:51 AM February 04, 2004: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-04-2004, 02:51 AM   #25
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Where is this thread?
Old 02-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #26
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Here is the page
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...&t=000522&p=17

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-05-2004, 04:53 AM   #27
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thanks for the link!

I only got the first picture in that scene. I will take ages to read through the entire thread, but there seems to be a lot of funny stuff, so I don't care.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:01 AM February 05, 2004: Message edited by: Thorongil ]
Old 02-05-2004, 06:45 PM   #28
Amariden Ravenhill
Wight

Amariden Ravenhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ALL HAIL BOROMIR THE DISCO KING! WOOT! *starts breakdancing* Look at ME! I'm a breakdancing hobbit lass!

Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
Amariden Ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:47 AM   #29
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Sting

LOL [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] that 8 posts long scene was so funny..
Old 02-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #30
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

hope it works....

EDIT: Blasted thing didn't work
Old 02-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #31
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
If anyone were to win it would be Gimli. Who can resist such a deep, raspy voice?
Old 02-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #32
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Hmmm...

My guess would be Sauron. I mean, being used to power, I imagine he'd have a very strong, powerful voice. And if all else fails, he can always bribe the judges with Rings of Power.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:34 AM   #33
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Maybe the whole Fellowship would release a joint single, like football clubs do. It would just be the whole group of them singing all out of tune and the wrong words.

But what would they sing?

You'll Never Walk Alone of course!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:57 AM   #34
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
That would be our judge Dicko, (Australia) what a champ!
Well, he wasn't the worst jugde. That brit (representing USA) made bad remarks about everyone. Does he have feelings at all?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:37 AM   #35
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

It'll either be Boromir (the 70's will rise again!) or....

SARUMAN! Isn't it obvious? His voice is the most powerful, melodic, and persuasive on Arda. Even if the judges didn't want an emaciated old crone filling the position, he could "convince" them otherwise *cackles fiendishly*.