The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Tell me about the Valar

im writing about the Valar for my english language course, and i was hoping that you folks could help me.

i know about the Valar as in their names and what they rule over/represent, eg. Varda made the stars, but i was wondering if any of you could tell me about any adventures or deeds the Valar are associated with. i know they had something to do with exiling people? and i know about Melkor turning evil...

If you could, could you please summarise any events concerning the Valar, and then give me a reference, ie. the book/site/whatever and a page number so i can refer back if necessary or find out more? that includes the Melkor and exiling examples i gave, as im not entirely clear on those.

thank you!
Old 02-21-2003, 12:36 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Get a copy of The Silmarillion; there are so many examples in there it isn't even funny. But you could go with Aulë creating the Dwarves, Yavanna creating the Ents, the Valar destroying Elenna (the island where Númenor was), Ulmo's consistent help for the Eldar and Atani during the First Age, Oromë discovering the Elves when they awoke, Yavanna's trees, the Prophecies of Mandos, Melkor's betrayal and killing of Finwë, the first Great Battle, the Valar's building of Arda....
Old 02-21-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

thank you. i know i should properly re-read the silmarillion, but im kinda pressed for time as well, and its quite complex, whereas i just really want a summary
Old 02-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The Valaquenta in the Silmarillion isn't long and will give you most of the information you need. Otherwise, use the search function to find threads about the Valar.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 03:54 AM   #5
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Tell me about the Valar
They're tall. Really tall.

Well, ask a stupid question...
Old 02-22-2003, 03:59 AM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Actually, this might help you out a little. Even if it doesn't, it's still a damn cool picture!!

This is Ulmo appearing to Tuor (try to forget that John Howe got Tuor's hair colour wrong - it was blonde). The scene is related in The Silmarillion and in Unfinished Tales, and the picture is used on the cover of the paperback version of UT that I have.

Ulmo, Lord of Waters by John Howe.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:22 AM   #7
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here are some references for you: Click on the gold colored words to activate the links.

HERE

HERE

HERE

AND HERE
Old 02-22-2003, 08:19 AM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

thanks for the links!

and i love the picture!! thank you!!