The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield Tolkien, he's a great writer! I am I wrong?

Tolkien is the best writer I've known so far! Some of his writing has brought me to tears or made me laugh so hard I had to put the book away. So I want you to tell me either how great Tolkien is. Or how he's not great or, why you read the books? Or an expreiance (sorry about my bad spelling) you had reading the books that you want to share with everyone!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:09 AM   #2
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

I don't think that this topic will be open for long. You might try to post it in the "novices and newcomers" section. Because, as you can read in the "Policies"-thread, this section is for in-depth discussion only.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Yes, the Novices and Newcomers forum is the place for opinions and experiences, so this thread has been moved. Please enjoy reading and posting there!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:32 PM   #4
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Eye

You're very right. Although I've never been brought to tears, Middle Earth has served as a retreat from my real life and my problems. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 08:15 AM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He's not the best writer I've encountered, but he's not bad. His Appendices were wonderful.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:02 AM   #6
Luinfang
Pile O'Bones

Luinfang has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

pleased to meet someone who thinks the same I do! Tolkien is the best writer I know, though there are numerous others that are not bad as well. Some of my favourite writers are D. Eddings and R. Zelazny. not important of course [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] , but certainly worth mentioning. are there some other people out there that love other writers too? or are you all so totally in love with Tolkien you can't even stand the idea of ever reading an other writer?

navaer!
Old 07-01-2003, 07:11 AM   #7
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is a tough one.
The best writer?
Tolkien does go on a bit long with the travelling and the travelling and more travelling. And some of his heroic speeches kind of clunk.
But I do think the books are brilliant and if I had to save just one book out of all of mine, It'd be the LOTR Trilogy (and I could argue that it really IS one book, not three, lol!).
It's hard to compare LOTR with other books on a purely literary level, because the novels read more like a history. I love LOTR not because it's great literature, but because it seems real. The parts that don't work on a literary level, work because they make the book seem more authentic. Pardon if I offend anyone, but in my opinion it's like the Bible. The Bible would make a terrible novel. No consistent plotting, loose ends everywhere, variable voice, etc...
But... it's the Bible! How could we ever hold it to a literary standard? How could we ever imagine editing it?
That's what LOTR is like to me.
As for a beautifully constructed *novel* (and I won't hazard a guess as to whether it's "best"), I always think of Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:39 PM   #8
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Tokien certainly did not write thrillers. Who needs 'em? I thought he was one of the best when I read the LotR "Trilogy." When I started The Simarillion I realized, Tolkien is, and always will be, King!!! There are no words to describe my elation upon finding such a book! So deep, so full of passion. The Sil is the song my heart sings, everything I want to read and write! And I'm nowhere near halfway finished! This is JRRT's life! I'm blown away! The only way I can say it, is it's deep. That sounds silly, I know, but it's true. It's so deep.

[ July 07, 2003: Message edited by: Kates Frodo Temp ]

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:53 PM   #9
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dūm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

If we didn't think Tolkien was a great writer do you really think we all would be here? So to answer your question, yes Tolkien is the best writer ever, after God that is...

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:59 AM   #10
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, you are quite wrong! Tolkien is not a great writer and never will be. After this movie fad, everything about LOTR will dissappear forever...!!

..................Kidding......... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 06:17 PM   #11
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dūm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Silmaril

*snicker snicker*

YES! Why of course! I was SOO wrong! It will soon fade out! SO SOON! BWAHAHA

Kidding also... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:12 AM   #12
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Your totally wrong. We all hate him here.

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]