The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting Aragorn a bum, and the Nazgul members of the S.S.!

*WARNING THIS TOPIC IS NOT FOR THOSE WHO ARE ALLERGIC PARODY*<P>I'm back home in Kiev right now, and was recently treated to a viewing of Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" with rather...original dubbing in Russian.<P>Instead of translating the movie word-for-word like normal distributors would, some guy nicknamed "Goblin" featured a dubbing with "colorful" Russian language and style. <P>He turned Strider into a bum, Sauron into a mafia boss, Nazgul a bunch of S.S. punks on horses, Legolas into a Latvian nerd.<P>All the poignant lines uttered during the movie turned into a farce, and changed the soundtrack to include oddly appropriate songs by Rammstein and T.A.T.U., thus turning the epic into a comedy.<P>"Stop laughing," I kept telling myself, and ended up practically rolling around in hysterics for the entire length of the film. Embarrassing, but envigorating.<P>I recommend this version to any Russian-speaking Downer with a sense of humour, and also wonder what other Downers think about such...creative dubbing.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:28 PM   #2
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

God bless those lax Eastern European copyright laws. It sounds as if LoTR got the <I>Mystery Science Theatre 3000</I> treatment, and I would have loved to have seen that.<P>However; such parody needs a delicate touch, otherwise (at least for me) the humor tends to wear thin after awhile, with jokes being repeated over and over. <P>Since I've seen enough comedy troupes perform parody dubbing on European and Japanese movies, I say "turnabout's fair play".<P>So...how did Elijah-Fro come off?
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I don't know about FotR, but I've got TTT with Russian dubbing, and I think I know what you mean. My friend got it for me in Russia without watching it first, and thought there were captions, not dubbing... he made a mistake, but he was laughing as loud as the other people when watching the beginning. Gollum has a voice so many times lower than Andy Serkis's... well, 7 would be a rather rough estimate.<P>All of the voices were completely wooden, as dubbed voices tend to be, excepting the rare times when a bit of emotion fake enough to make me want to bash my head against the wall came through the din. To make it worse, you could hear the English from behind the Russian, making them relatively easy to compare.<P>At the point when the orcs' voices were first heard, however, one of my friends let out a groan of pain and ran to turn off the VCR, and then out of the room. I would have been tempted to punch him had it been any other movie, but as a matter of fact, I was relieved that I had an excuse to stop watching...<P>Since then, I've only watched that with the dubbing turned off, but maybe sometime soon I'll build up the courage (and possibly earplugs) to turn it on.<P>Swan song,<BR>~Menelien
Old 07-05-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
The Only REal estel

Pipe

I can't speak Russian, but it sounds awesome! Is there anyway I can get a version of it in English? I doubt it...
Old 07-05-2003, 06:38 PM   #5
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

A version of what? A version of Russian dubbing in English? If that's what you mean, it makes absolutely no sense... <P>Swan song,<BR>~Menelien
Old 07-05-2003, 06:56 PM   #6
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It's hard to explain. If I could get the version of Russian dubbing translated to English, but still in the same way that<BR>'Goblin' 'messed' up the movie. Does that make any more sense?
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:19 AM   #7
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I suppose so. Man, I really want to see your copies of TTT and FotR. Oh, yeah! I remember that on the DVD of FotR, when the Nazgul says "Give up the Halfling, She-Elf!" We were watching it in French, and you know how in the regular version, it's in this sort of hideous, crackly, whispery voice? Not here! It's this huge, deep, thundering voice! My friend and I were watching it and it scared the bejeebers out of us! Also, I know it's French and they have to, but every name with an "o" on the end ends in "on". Frodon, Bilbon. Pippin is turned into Peepen and Merry is turned into Merhi. Also (they fixed it on the Extended Edition DVD) when the Crebain come, and Aragorn yells, "HIDE!" there is no sound! Just his mouth yelling. We were quite disappointed that they fixed it on the Extended Edition.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote