The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
gildor inglorion
Pile O'Bones

gildor inglorion has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye The moviescripts

Hello<P>I wonder if anyone knows where you can find the moviescripts to FOTR and TTT?
gildor inglorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:39 AM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here is a Two Towers transcript that someone brought to our attention in another thread.<P><A HREF="http://www.dreamwater.net/seatofkings/script_ttt.html" TARGET=_blank>TTT Transcript</A><P>This isn't really a script, so I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for.<P>Something I would love to see some time is the original script for these movies. That and PJ and Fran Walsh's original treatment. It would be a cool insight into the creative process. At home I have the script for Monty Python And The Holy Grail. Besides being hysterical, it's full of penciled in changes and deletions which are a very interesting read.<P>H.C.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:43 AM   #3
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.stupidring.com/fotrscript/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.stupidring.com/fotrscript/index.htm</A>

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And here is the <A HREF="http://movieprojectonline.tripod.com/scripts/Lord_Of_The_Rings.txt" TARGET=_blank>FotR script in screenplay format</A>. I think it's identical to the above, but easier to read. Only problem is, there's no elvish. But there are plenty of other sites for that. <P>EDIT: <P>Read over it again. Some might be stuck on the "bare bones" of a movie screenplay, and don't really know that that's how it's supposed to be. There isn't supposed to be a lot of clumsy transitions and scene description. Even though that's cool to read, the screenwriter isn't in charge of those things, anyway, unless he's both the screenwriter AND the director. All the screenwriter does is write down the story, and the director adds in the little flares that makes a movie a "movie" (or a Movie, if you perfer). <P>Like the part with Galadriel. It does not say that the Lady speaks mind-to-mind with Frodo in some scenes, only that she and the hobbit exchange words. This is to give the director flexibility. Also, when unnamed characters speak (the Uruk-hai, the hobbits at Bilbo's party) they are not given seperate lines under the heading of "Uruk-hai or "Proudfoot." They are just listed as "action lines" flush with the left margin.<P>What about all those WORDS in CAPS? Major objects and important actions (sometimes sounds) are capitalized. This is to accomidate ease in reading for the propmasters/actors/production staff. Kind of annoying after a while, but that's how it goes.<P>Note: my link isn't the true screenplay from the movie. It was written in screenplay format by a person watching the movie. Therefore, certain innacuracies will occur. ("Balin, son of Hrundin" and the gender of the old hobbit during the cart-ride scene at the beginning of the movie)<P>Anyone else curious about screenplay format? PM me. This has gotten long enough. <P>-'Vana<p>[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: DaughterofVana ]

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/seatofkings" TARGET=_blank>TTT and FOTR scripts</A>
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Maybe I'm being nit-picky here, but none of these are scripts. They are transcipts that someone made while watching the film.<P>A script is what the actor would have in his or her hand while filming. It isn't the same thing.<P>Although the transcripts are fine, having an actual script would be way cool.<P>H.C.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

As someone who haunts most of the major "script-dump" sites, I have yet to see an online script for FotR. With such a huge movie, the company is usually quick to fire off a cease & desist to anyone hosting such copyrighted materials. Maybe they'll offer it in book form one of these days, ideally as part of the "Shooting Script" series, which is great for people who are interested in what screenwriters do.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:13 AM   #8
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I can't believe it's legal to put any form of the script out there. That film is still in theaters. I am pretty disturbed to discover I can just read that script on my computer right here and now. That ain't cool!
Old 03-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #9
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There's a really good site that has teh actual dialogue written out, but nothing more. Unfortunetly I can't find it, I found it before. The address or name of the site is sumthing like "quintessentials" or something like that. My site has the script to but it's not up and running yet.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:41 AM   #10
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I can't believe it's legal to put any form of the script out there. That film is still in theaters. I am pretty disturbed to discover I can just read that script on my computer right here and now. That ain't cool! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's all relative.<P>Pretty much every image we've been sharing is illegal as well. The screen captures are down right stolen and even many of the other images (like the production shots) are distributed without any mention as to their source. Again, illegal.<P>If production companies could actually stop every occurance of copyright violation, 90% of internet sites that had anything to do with TV or movies would be shut down.<P>I think they let the smaller stuff, like transcripts and screen captures, go because they have much bigger problems with actual pirated copies of films, shows and music. Besides, these sites promote their product anyway, though I remember Paramount going balistic on Star Trek sites a number of years back and shutting down every one that was using images that the studio owned. To me this is just bad buisness.<P>Personally, I don't have a problem with screen captures or transcripts. I don't think anyone is going to use them as a substitute for going to the movie and all these sites generate interest in the film and make money for them. It's basically free advertising. A stollen copy of the actual script would be a different thing in my mind. Many people (including myself) would pay money for a bound script and I don't think people have the right to steal that source of revenue from the studios.<P>It's a fine line though, and everyone seems to have it in a different place.<P>H.C.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:20 PM   #11
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Okay, HC. I suppose you're right. It just took me by surprise. I'm so used to seeing photographic images. But the whole script? That was a bit of a shock. Guess I'm naiive.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #12
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here is one for ROTK!<P><A HREF="http://www.stupidring.com/rotkscript/" TARGET=_blank>transcript</A>
Old 02-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #13
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Were you looking something like this?
I haven't seen that kind of movie scripts on any site before but one can always search them.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #14
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I found a script for FOTR that I would say comes pretty close to what HC called an actual working script. It is here. This site also has a ROTK script right here.

dancing spawn, thanks for that link. I haven't seen a cue sheet before. Hmmm. Enlightening. Is it just me or is Sir Ian changing the original script??

Last edited by Evisse the Blue; 02-23-2004 at 06:46 AM.
Evisse the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:31 PM   #15
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
An excellent site for finding movie scripts and transripts is www.simplyscripts.com
It has the Lord of the Rings and many others.
I hope that's helpful.
-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote