The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
'Westernesse' Movie Idea

I don't know who else on the 'Downs has seen this; for all I know, I might be resurrecting a deceased equine just to flog it again, but here goes...

While wasting time with my secret vice on Ardalambion (yet again), I found a link to a little side project of Mr. Fauskanger's: a treatment for a potential prequel to both TH and LotR: a movie adaptation of the last part of the Akallabêth, specifically the pride of Ar-Pharazôn the Golden which culminated in the transportation of Sauron; the setting out of the Great Fleet into the West; and, finally, the Downfall, the establishment of the Realms in Exile, and the War of the Last Alliance. The movie would end with a rehash of the prequel to PJ's FotR.

Interested parties can view his work here. I think it looks good and, if I knew anyone in Hollywood and anyone who knew CJRT, would love to pitch it to New Line and the Professor's estate (seeing as the Estate still owns the rights to all of his works apart from TH and LotR).

Thoughts, comments, questions, nasty remarks?
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

And, apparently, you can't use HTML tags in thread titles.

*facepalm*
Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Based on Christopher Tolkien's litigious experiences with the current film producers (and anyone else who infringes on Tolkien trademarks, for that matter), not to mention the unabashed failure of Bakshi's cartoon, as well as his father's noted disgust with an early film script, I can't see the Tolkien Family Trust every granting film rights to material from The Silmarillion.

Nope, can't see it happening at all. At least not within CJRT's lifetime. Sorry, but ''a snowball's chance in hell'' is the apt metaphor here.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
If PJ and Co. have served a positive purpose with their movies, it's that they've introduced Tolkien's work to a new generation, which hopefully will embrace the books and be motivated to look deeper into the LOTR universe, to the Silm and UT through that medium.
Making more movies, however, will do nothing but line pockets.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Nope, can't see it happening at all. At least not within CJRT's lifetime. Sorry, but ''a snowball's chance in hell'' is the apt metaphor here.
Neither can I...I do think one will happen one day though, probably not in any of our life times (unless some of our even younger then me members live to the ripe 100s), but as long as Congress (and the respective legislative bodies in other countries) don't bow to corporate greed and extend copyright*, it will be public domain one day.

On topic, I do agree that that's a very good script for a movie. I've read it before, liked it then, and still do.

*And if that happens, I really hope there is some kind of rebellion...or I can come back and haunt the legislature when I die. Once everybody involved in the making of it is dead, then it should be public domain. If you didn't make it, you shouldn't make millions of dollars off it.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

I know it's probably not going to happen, but a wight can dream, can't he?

Also, who wants to start a betting pool on when/if H.K.F. is going to finish his rendition? It's been languishing for four or five years at the sailing of the Great Armament, so my guess is 'never'.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
fimbulfambi

I think the major problem with a movie about the Downfall would be the lack of original material. There are only a few hundred pages on the subject by Tolkien, and we know next to nothing about the characters, their relationships and personalities besides some general traits like pride and loyalty and some isolated hints - but that's it. How did Elendil talk (just look at the archaic manner of expression we see in Isildur's letter in The Council of Elrond)? Was Anarion a hothead or a calm and serene man ? How did the Elendili behave when they had to encounter the king on formal occasions? Was Ar-Pharazôns pride to be seen at first glance, or did he give the impression of a concerned father to his people?

And we know far less about Númenorean society at the end of the Second Age than we know about, say, Rohan or Minas Tirith at the time of the War of the Ring. Okay, people were corrupted by Sauron, afraid of dying, and engaged in a decadent imperialist culture, but how did that translate to their everyday behavior? Was the life of the upper class under Ar-Pharazôn opulent and escapist, or was there a grim militarism pervading every aspect of culture? How far did the opposition of the Faithful go, and what was their attitude on slavery, for example? Were there public debates, orators, assemblies? Did they have to go into a sort of inner exile? We know they were persecuted, but how exactly worked that persecution? What did Armenelos look like?

These are important aspects, I think, if one wants to have a lively portrayal of the story. Problem is, Tolkien doesn't give us a close look in the manner of the Lord of the Rings, so much has to be left to speculation. Any cinematic interpretation would therefore mainly rely on pure invention, and I doubt that this is what you and I really want.

Last edited by fimbulfambi; 07-18-2011 at 04:51 PM.