The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
Traveller

Tolkien Need help for my studies

Hi.

I'm from Germany and studying Literature, Culture and Media. Have to write a homework about the story of success of The Lord of the Rings.
Now I'm looking for a page, where I could find profound information about:

- Theories, why it is such a great and constant success (backrounds, human psychology...)
- what is in it that makes it timeless
- comparison with Roling's Harry Potter and its remarkeble spreading
- sales figures (before and after the films)
- success entailed by representation in media (web, magazines, cinema...)

I'm even eager to know about your own theories in this points and would be glad, if there could be compiled some different views and ideas.

please feel free to post... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2003, 02:25 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You might try the Tolkien Links section of the Barrow Downs for general Tolkien information. If you wish, you can browse the archives on these fora, and I am sure you will find plenty of discussion comparing Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings as well as debate about the reason's for LotR's continued literary success.

Quote:
- success entailed by representation in media (web, magazines, cinema...)
Well, if I recall correctly, there are a few movies based on the books... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] There are countless websites related to the works of Professor Tolkien, and I am sure with a little research you can find plenty of other multimedia on the subject of Tolkien's writing.

I hope that helps you out somewhat. Welcome to the Downs!
Old 10-26-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think I want to do your homework for you ok thanks.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:43 PM   #4
Traveller

Pipe

Thanks anyway. Could find a really good site at latest. tolkienist.de (german)

I am just still troubelled with the question about the mystery of success of Harry Potter but I think I will find some plausible answer. What do people nowaday want and what do they dream of?
What if we all just try to escape daily routine and wanna find ourself in a land where heroes are required (What if there would be no hero? Could a story be still that successful?) and cruel figures lurk behind trees and stones?
Could a non-fairy story gain the same popularity? Is it just a hype of our century or did people ever beliefe in witchcraft and stories about monsters and sorcerers? Would tolkien have gained the same laurels one century before?

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Traveller ]
Old 10-27-2003, 12:06 AM   #5
rocky

Sting

Well, one explaination for LotR's continued success is the principle of archtypes. Joseph Campbell wrote a wonderful series of books called "The Masks of God" which deal with social archtypes and how the are reflected in Litrature and Mythology. The small person who makes a difference is one of these archtypes as is the layabout who finally takes responsability. Both are represented in LotR as well as a few others. Its been a few years since I have read them, but they cast LotR as well as so many other books, into a completely different light for me.