The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting How should the dunedain be portrayed?

How should the dunedain be portrayed? how would you portray them?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From what I understand, they're going to be portrayed as absent.<P>How would I portray them? Like they were in the book. Tall, strong, fearsome, fearless and loyal. But it ain't me doing it.<P>H.C.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
Edge

Sting

Are you serious? They aren't going to be in there? Who's Aragorn going to go in the Dead Paths with? An elfish army? Wait. Are the Paths going to be in it?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:52 AM   #4
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Doubtful. It would take a heck of a lot of screen time.<p>[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 01-15-2003, 11:58 AM   #5
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cant see the paths of the dead translating into film very well. and can you really see a good reaction from the gereral public at these warriors just turning up at the conveniant moment.<P>i would portray them just like Aragorn. He was exactly how he was meant by Tolkien.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:02 PM   #6
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

engwaalphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well well no Dunedain ......... there should be , and the paths of the dead could have just been filmed over quickly with an aeriel shot and have aragorn etc and the dundedain arriving on the ships .that would be powerful , PJ could still make it seem like they weren't coming like in the book and then have them turn up!<BR>ramble over lol but if leaving out the paths leaves way for the scouring of the shire im all for it

"Utślie'n aurė! Aiya Eldaliė ar Atanatįri, utślie'n aurė!
engwaalphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You are not getting the scoring of The Shire. <P>It isn't a question of length here but one of pacing. Over a 1000 plus page book, Tolkien has the luxery of widing down to the ending and having some fun, a movie can't do that.<P>After the story climaxes in an action sequence (I'll try not to spoil for those that don't want to know), we need to begin to build towards the emotional climax at Grey Havens (at least I sure hope it is there). If the hobbits enter The Shire and suddenly there's all this bit about crooked Sheriffs and Sharky and ruffians, the typical theatre goer would be asking, what the hell is going on? Who are these new characters? I thought the movie was ending? They would be checking their watches and noticing that it's been almost three hours since they've sat down and they have to pee and now the hobbits are building a posse and the whole illusion of being swept into a different world will be lost.<P>This isn't about movie goers being dumb. It's just how films are structured, which is very different then a novel. You've got to keep the audience from realizing how long they've been sitting in that seat, which is something PJ does brilliantly.<P>H.C.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:33 PM   #8
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

engwaalphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sharkey's end though ....... ah so when do you think they're killing ol'saruman off then ? and there better be the "well im back" ending....... i get your point. <BR>I think im too picky

"Utślie'n aurė! Aiya Eldaliė ar Atanatįri, utślie'n aurė!
engwaalphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, the Dunedain should be in the movie. And, I think that they'd look a lot like Aragorn. You know, dirty, scruffy, silent, rugged, powerful, and all that jazz.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
Edge

Sting

If they show the Treebeard letting Saruman and Wormtail segment go, then that is probaly when they will have Sharkey die. Or PJ might get a grand idea and have Treebeard stomp out Sharkey.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:44 PM   #11
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tall, grim, silent. Like a people who always live on the run. Rustic but possesing a sense of nobility, like Aragorn.