The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Himhenwen
Pile O'Bones

Himhenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Himhenwen
Silmaril Who is your favorit Lord of the Rings character and why?

I was sitting here and thinking when it came to me...
Who is my favorit Lord of the Rings character and why?
So I thought I'd ask all of my fellow Barrowdowners.

For Example:
My favorit character is Aragon because he is strong, noble, and can sing like me!
Old 11-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my favorite LotR character is Legolas. Considering that I am a guy, I made up my mind about this long BEFORE any of the movies were released. My decision was in no way affected by Orlando Bloom's closeness in looks to Barbie. In the books there is this thick mystery that surrounds Legolas. He is silent except for a few extremely well worded phrases per chapter. Also he is incredibly calm. Rarely are his origins and family mentioned. This gives the reader incentive to learn more about him, that certainly was my case. Also his combat skills make him very likeable. His style of fighting is not as wreckless and strong as perhaps Gimli's or Aragorn's but instead very precise, smooth, and deadly. In conclusion it is easy to say that I favor the elves. Just look at my name, if this were a question of which Silmarillion character was your favorite my choice would be obvious. Still in LotR, Legolas son of Thranduil is my favorite character.
King of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North
My decision was in no way affected by Orlando Bloom's closeness in looks to Barbie.
BARBIE?!? *gasps in horror* Maybe it's just me, but he's ten times better looking than Barbie. She's plastic...plus Legolas's hair is definetely bigger than hers!

But that's besides the point, my favorite character would either be Haldir or Faramir.I nearly died with happiness when Haldir showed up to fight at Helm's Deep, since in the book when the Elves did not show up for Legolas, I started crying. So I'm proud of Haldir mainly. Faramir on the other hand, I really like since he and Eowyn are together. I felt so bad for her after Aragorn didn't work out, so when Faramir was there to pick up the pieces it made me feel more relieved. Plus the way he's always in his brother's shadow...I know how that feels.
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
Este of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Este of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Este of Lorien
Silmaril

Glorfindel, because he's misterious, wise , and, of course, "fearless and full of joy" (I liked that description) . I also like Galadriel (most in the book than in the movie).
Este of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
Lûthien Nénharma
Pile O'Bones

Lûthien Nénharma has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lûthien Nénharma Send a message via MSN to Lûthien Nénharma
White Tree none

hmmm, Im tied btw Elessar and Samwise,
I think Samwise is one of my favorites because of his role, he almost has to make sure Frodo does not fail as the ring bearer.
Then I like Elessar b/c of his will.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11271
Welcome to the Downs, Himhenwen! You might also want to check out the FAQ in the upper left hand corner.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
Himhenwen
Pile O'Bones

Himhenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Himhenwen
White Tree

Thank you Lindolirian I will do that very soon!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:09 PM   #8
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
I'm moving this thread as we place favourites threads in Novices and Newcomers. They are essentially open to anyone and everyone, and do not develop into deep book-based discussions generally. Feel free to continue posting on this thread!
Old 11-04-2004, 05:31 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Boromir (like you didn't see that one coming), because he's strong, good fighter, of noble background. Maybe the most important reason because the Fellowship wouldn't have survived without him .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:21 AM   #10
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Hey Himhenwen...sorry for my absence for the past few weeks...I had left certain deeds unfinshed and the West was calling. It's really hard to choose a favorite because my favorites change every week. This week it is Sam. Every week I associate a character from LotR that resembles the week I've been having. Sam fit the bill. We need more people like Sam in this world. More people who will be there for each other instead of bringing each other down over trivial matters. I have been blessed with very special bonds like these with people that unfortunately i have not seen for awhile. And I am not sorry to say that one of those friends is Himhenwen. The friend I have here is in need of friends that I have at home. I only hope I could possibly use the knowledge I have from having friends such as Himhenwen and be the same kind of friend to my friend in need here. Friends like Sam are priceless. Never let them go.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:26 PM   #11
Mumak o' Harad
Pile O'Bones

Mumak o' Harad has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I do not even have to say it: the Mûmakils!

I love them because they are huge, mighty and dreadful!

Does anybody have any further information on them? Please let me know!
Mumak o' Harad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
Sting

Faramir,he is my favorite character because whatever he does is always for the best,unless of course commanded by his "father", he let the ring go, he wasnt cammanded to retrieve it,it was boromirs mission. When Denethor sent him on his mission he did it for his city and almost cost him his life.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
malkatoj
Wight

malkatoj has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to malkatoj
Sting Samwise

My favourite character is Sam. I once told my friend this, and she yelled at me and called him 'fat and stupid.' But here's the reality...Sam is a loving, loyal friend. He is willing to go through anything to ensure Frodo's safety, even when Frodo sends him away. He continues, throughout the journey, to be unphased by the powers of the Ring, which most other members of the Fellowship are unable to do. Sam knows what is worth fighting for, and he fights for it. He knows that there will eventually be light, even after all this darkness, and this keeps him going while others feel hopeless. Sam has a keen ability to know whether someone is a good person or not, as evidenced by his feelings on Gollum.

Haha...I wrote a 2-page essay on this topic once. It was awesome. (As awesome as this smiley face? I doubt it.)
malkatoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #14
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I really like Faramir and its not just because I have a crush on him (Blushes) I liked him already before I got a crush on him. Not only is he brave, he is also interested in history and learning. This is evident because he always asked Gandalf many questions. Also in the book he is one of the few characters who is not tempted by the ring.I also really like Theoden and I get extremely sad when he dies on the battlefield. (Every time I read that passage my eyes water.)
Old 03-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #15
Olivier

My favorite character is Aragorn. I always loved adventurers with no fear and courage. To read about this character in the book was so nice. To see this mysterious adventurers be king of gondor after great moments threw the triology makes me jumping on my bed!

Faramir is a nice character too, and i understand why P.J. change is mind situation in the movie. This was just for the conflict between Denethor and him, this conflict is interesting for the attraction of Faramir for the ring.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #16
Elentari_Elbereth
Pile O'Bones

Elentari_Elbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via MSN to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via Yahoo to Elentari_Elbereth
Wow.... What a Question!

I can't exactly say I have ONE favorite, I admire close to everyone for their own reasons.

I have written several character essays (for english class actually. and received very good grades!), one of them on Faramir, another Frodo, and Aragorn... and some on races and people in general.

because I love every character so much, I'll mention a few that really stick out as amazing:

Aragorn- He not only has such intelligence and physical strength, he has very strong courage, emotional strength, and outstanding leadership qualities.

Samwise- Dear Samwise.. Sam is a the truest friend in all of the world, If more friends could be like him, so loyal and brave, what a world this would be!

Mithrandir- He has such a good heart, and wisdom beyond what he even knows (..Olorin was wisest of the Maia), and as mentioned on this site, the only one of the Wizards to stay true to his task. I admire his determination for good will.

Frodo- He volunteered a deadly task when none else would, and worked tirelessly and earnestly in the greatest emotional struggle anyone could endure, not even to say he would even go into the heart of Mordor Alone. That is courage and strength from the deepness of his very soul.

...Who shall see the last evening?
Elentari_Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote