The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Unfinished Tales - Part Two - I - A Description of the Island of Númenor

This brief chapter begins with a typically Tolkienish explanation, as if the documents were actual historical objects. A description follows, which explains the map on the first page in some detail.

The description of the mountain Meneltarma includes some fascinating (because rare) bits of information on Númenorean worship. Some of the following information concerns the nature of the land and its use, and a long paragraph is devoted to trees. Of the animals mentioned, birds are most important, though horses were also present, mostly for transportation.

Metal-working was apparently the most important of the crafts. And as to be expected of an insular people, the love of the Númenoreans for the Sea is told in the final paragraph.

One of the aspects of this chapter that I noticed in particular was the abundance of beautiful names for places, objects and persons.

What strikes you as the most interesting reason for reading this chapter? Or do you skip it and move on to more fascinating stories? Would you have enjoyed visiting the island or even living there?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I personally find this chapter essential for a better understanding and enrichment of all the Númenor-based stories.

The mention of the customs involving the worship rituals on the Meneltarma is what I find most interesting; it serves as a contrast for the later Sauron-cult practiced by the King's Men, and illustrates the fall of the Dúnedain that much more clearly.

It's also fascinating to note that mallorns were found in Númenor, and were given in gift to Gil-galad, who in turn gave them to Galadriel. I wonder if that was in Galadriel's mind when she later showed such favour later to Aragorn, Elendil's Heir.

The Númenóreans were fond of fish and seafood, a matter on which I would entirely agree.

Overall Númenor, from its settlement until the coming of the Shadow, seems to have been a pretty desirable place to live.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As an aside: I actually tried to work out the concept of mallorn-trees not growing in Lindon, as it might be applied to the fuller history of Nerwende Artanis (somewhat vague as it is).

I found it somewhat problematic
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What I've always wondered about is why make Numenor specifically in the shape of a star? From the POV of the characters (the Valar), the "rules" of ME, and the author? Does anyone have some information or elaboration on this bit of symbolism?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
What I've always wondered about is why make Numenor specifically in the shape of a star? From the POV of the characters (the Valar), the "rules" of ME, and the author? Does anyone have some information or elaboration on this bit of symbolism?
Well, the island was raised from the ocean bottom by Ossë. The fact that the Edain were guided to it by the Star of Eärendil could certainly have been a factor in the basic shape of the land; maybe a deliberate effort to symbolize the faith that had gotten them there in the hopes they would not forget it.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I also found the subject of the worship of the Numenoreans most interesting. What specifically struck me was that there were no images, temples, or even standing stones on Meneltarma, save where the Eagles of Manwe perched. At least, as it says, "until the coming of Sauron." That hints that, in turning away the Numenoreans from the Eru and the Valar, Sauron brought idolatry to Numenor.

Speaking of beautiful names, what impressed me most was the names of the trees listed. Especially Yavannamire, which must have had beautiful fruit. I had forgotten, since it has been a nearly eight years since I last read this, that the Mallorn of Lorien were a gift from Numenor. I had always had it stuck in my head they were in Lorien first.

Also of interest was the fact that horses of Numenor were trained to hear and answer calls at a great distance, and where there was great love between men and women and their favorite steeds they could be summoned by thought.

Would I have enjoyed visiting or living there? From the descriptions, if I happened upon Numenor, I don't think I would ever want to leave! It almost seems like the Valar gave the men of Numenor the closest thing to paradise they could make for mortals.