The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmaril Rock Bands and Tolkien (Nightwish and more)

I couldn't find a similar topic around here - if one exists please excuse me - and so I thought I would start one here in N&N since it feels like an appropriate place.

As you may know Nightwish often references Tolkien's works, the best known song to do this is probably Wishmaster, but for example Elvenpath from Angels Fall First is centered around the works and contains excerpts from Bakshi's cartoons.

As such, I hope we won't be seeing many chat skwerlz around here, since this does have something to do with Tolkien and it does often sound quite "Elvish".

Looking forward to seeing if there are any other fans around here like yours truly.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien metal!~

I must have shared this story quite a number of times to friends, but am not too sure if I've mentioned it here. Anyway, here goes.

Nightwish
is virtually unheard-of here in the Philippines; if you think Tolkien fans are rare here, then NW fans are even rarer. Around three years ago a suitor captured me by playing on my Tolkien side, to the point of doing a harana, including Elvenpath if memory serves. That got me to Nightwish. (And later I found out, he wasn't really into Tolkien, just metal. That was, until about three months later, when I got him to read Sil.)

Nightwish draws on plenty other sources as well. Tolkien is but one; apart from Elvenpath and Wishmaster, I cannot think of any other Nightwish songs that have Tolkien references. Nightwish also draws from history and historical fiction (at least, I think we can classify them as fiction), like Creek Mary's Blood, The Kinslayer, etc. At first, The Kinslayer sounds so Noldor, so Feanor, but it alludes to the wacky psycho that ran amok in some Christian school. Then there are the love songs (the ones I love most), like Ever Dream. We'll get off-topic if I go further into that.

BUT if you truly want Tolkien-metal, I suggest Blind Guardian's 1998 album Nightfall on Middle Earth. That is truly blatant Silmarillion-inspired album. My favorites include Nightfall, Mirror Mirror, Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns), Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill), and Harvest of Sorrow.

I'm pretty sure there are other Tolkien metal out there. Nightwish and Blind Guardian belong to the power metal subcategory; there exist such things as Nazgul, Amon Amarth, Isengard and Menegroth, among many others. Unfortunately my knowledge of these black metal is limited; I'm not into growling songs.

And to sum it up, here's a nice article.

Looking forward to hearing from the Finns here!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
if you think Tolkien fans are rare here, then NW fans are even rarer. Around three years ago a suitor captured me by playing on my Tolkien side,
Ooh, what a nice way of putting it!

Nightwish - I quite like them. They're very 'goth' of course, or were, because I think they have a new singer now who is less operatic. I'm fond of Elvenpath anyway. It's quite unusual because I'm often suspicious of liking music just because it has obvious Tolkien references.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Indeed, good observation on other such bands there, Lindale.

Perhaps a better topic would then be - metal & Tolkien.

And I agree with Lalwende, that really is a nice way of putting it.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This thread can certainly expand to include other bands, metal or not, who play Tolkien-related music. There are lots of them! (There are previous threads, but I'm not sure how far you would have to dig to find them, so it's worth starting this new one.) For those who are interested, I can refer you to a chapter on the connection between Tolkien and black metal music in the upcoming book Music in Middle-earth. I've already seen it, and though that's not my style of music, it's a fascinating topic. The book is currently being prepared for printing and should be published in October.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Thanks for the link, Lindale, although it seems the writer misses a trick here:

"Even the controversial Varg [Vikernes] project Burzum used to be known as Uruk-hai after the menacing super-race of orcs."

Burzum is, of course, also an homage to Tolkien. This project is easily my favourite Tolkien-inspired metal.

I would also point out that the rather famous Amon Amarth are unrelated to Tolkien: they just liked the name.

I bought that Nightfall in Middle-earth album a few years ago and found it to be very tiresome. Nightwish I have no opinion of.