The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up The PJ Appreciation Thread

There are a lot of threads and a lot of posts out there that seem to say nothing but what Peter Jackson did wrong while making the films. 'Faramir is terrible', 'Shelob should be in TTT!', or 'Gandalf got his butt kicked by the Witch-King' seem to be what we are saying. I know, I know, I've done it too. It almost seems that we have only bad things to say. And while everything we say is true, I think it belies how we truly feel.

I, for one, am very grateful to PJ for making the films. I think he knew that all of us book fans would rip everything he changed to shreds. Despite that, he decided to set out to do something spectacular: Make a movie based on the Lord of the Rings. And even though I have personally bashed some of his decisions, I am happy he did what he did.

All told, I think Peter Jackson did an excellent job making a movie version of LotR.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I agree with Gurthang, although I am not the biggest fan of the films, I am still glad PJ made them. I have my dislikes, and have aired them, yet the good far outweighs the bad. I am thankful to see Middle-Earth in any form, remember, before the films were made , people argued as to which artist portrayed the Profs works best.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I've said again & again that any talking badly about the changes he made that I've done isn't bashing (usually), it's just honest, intelligent (or trying to be at least) discussion.

I am very grateful that he made the movies & was willing to at least stick to the storylines as closely as he did. It's certainly not that he didn't make an effort!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
PJ had a fantastic attempt at something that was never going to please everyone as it had to be marketable to a wider range than just those who like Tolkien. The number of new members that have joined the Downs since the films were first released shows the range of people he reached.

I am very grateful to him and his fellow filmmakers for creating the world of ME onscreen, it's just so much fun to pick holes .
Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 AM   #5
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I'm quite sure a lot of people would not have known about the wonderful books if not for the movies. That would have included me. And I would never have been here with all you wonderful people. See, there's a whole chain reaction out there.

So, PJ, despite all your crimes against the books, thank you.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I think there's few who really despise the movies. It's not like the movies would have ruined Tolkien's world for us. If there's something wrong in the films, we can pick up our worn-out books and go to Middle-Earth that way.

Being intelligent sprites we are not blinded by grand settings, beautiful music, magnificent costume designing, handsome actors... In an eleven-hour movie there has to be something that somebody doesn't quite like. Then that certain somebody comes here and says it out loud. And then we discuss it.

But I doubt that those who seem to bash Mr. Jackson's films really hate them. We just like the films so much that we aren't afraid to criticize them. We love and cherish the story and our feedback - no matter how negative it may be at times - won't change that fact. Also, talking here with other people helps us to accept the "flaws" (or convince us about things like PJ's Faramir was the greatest blunder of film history ).

But due to this is an Appreciation Thread, I wrote a Haiku poem for the greatness of PJ. Since I don't have a clue how to count syllables in English words, this may not fill the requirements of a haiku but I don't care.

PJ, you are great
You deserved the Oscars
Just do the Hobbit

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 07-14-2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: I hate typos.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote