The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2004, 04:54 AM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Annoying Unbelievers

Ok, we've done annoying experts and amateurs, what about those who mock what they do not understand?

To illustrate what I mean, I had an utterly idiotic argument with Mr Lalaith the other day about Numenoreans. (He's seen the films but never got past the Hobbit, book-wise) He gathered from a conversation I was having with someone else that they had a much longer lifespan than ordinary men.
The conversation went something like this:
"So Aragorn is not human then?"
"Yes, he is human, but his race just lives longer."
"I'm sorry, if they live longer than men, they can't be men."
"Look, Tolkien created them, if he says Numenoreans are men then that's what they are."
"But it still doesn't make sense."
And so it went on. Sigh. Has anyone else suffered in this way?
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:14 AM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Favorite Q's

My favorite questions are...

Why doesn't Gandalf use his magic and blast the orcs?

Who was Elrond's brother? (this asked by me)
When I tell them Elros, first king of Numenor, they can't get that Elrond and Elros were half-elven. Elrond chose immortal, Elros chose mortal.

As for other ones, a lot of people mistake Valinor as the Grey Havens. That Saruman first created the Uruk-hai and that Gothmog was a mutated, demented orc. Don't get me wrong the people who ask and want to learn, I encourage questions, I am merely talking about the people under this topic category. The people who can't "believe" and think they are always right. One time I talked with someone who thought Dragons were dead Wizards from long ago. Then he just got nasty, "How do you know Dragons aren't dead wizards...etc?" I don't mind people misunderstanding, and pointing them the right way, it's the ones that think they're right and you're wrong.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:23 AM   #3
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
How did that person ever get the idea that Dragons are dead wizards??

What I find irritating is those people that have only seen (yes,SEEN) Fellowship of the Ring and can't stand Hobbits or anything about LotR afterwards,simply because they didn't like it due to a lack of fantasy. And then they blame the movies or characters for their own inability to enjoy ME.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:25 AM   #4
Minyataurien
Pile O'Bones

Minyataurien has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I'm really tired of explaining WHY the eagles can't just fly over and just drop the ring into Mt. Doom. arghh..it's annoying
as for stupid questions, these were all asked by a friend when she went to the theater with me

is gollum related to frodo? hopefully not *rolls eyes*
are hobbits human or something? i doubt it *rolls eyes*
why is the ring so heavy, it doesn't look very big? it just IS *rolls eyes*
that elf dude is so hot isn't he? yes, now be quiet so MAYBE we can hear him!!

those are real questions and how i answered them. i'm not explaining everything, she'll never care anyway...
Old 07-12-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Argh! The 'Eagle' question! Honestly, this one has been tossed around so often where I work that it's now become a bit of a joke.

I have some stock answers to that one:
1. If the eagles did fly over Mount Doom and 'drop in' the ring, then why would there have been a book at all.
This is your petulant reply, if you can't be bothered arguing any further.

2. The eagles have their own minds and they are their own race, and as such they are not at the constant call of anyone.

3. If the eagles flew into Mordor carrying The One Ring/Frodo then the Nazgul would rip them apart.

Mostly though, I don't mind questions or weird statements about LOTR, as they just give me a further excuse to talk or while the day away with e-mail chains about my favourite topic.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
Nirvana II
Wight

Nirvana II has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

heres one my brother asked me the other day as we were watching RotK on Pay Per view:

If Sauron and Gandalf are equals (I told him about the Ainur), why doesn't Gandalf just kill Sauron?

Вы - пончик желе!

Я оказался снова.

Частное сообщение меня, если Вы понимаете.
Nirvana II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #7
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Pipe A Glimpse at scary-reality society?!

Hmmm. Yes, i have recieved questions from crictics about the Lord of The Rings, luckly most have not been bias, or too judgemental. But for the ones that have, it has made me think deeply and reflect on these questions. Why? Well, first i studied WHO, WHY, and WHEN. From what i've found, on a high-schooler's experience and point of view is that these are usually people who have never even heard Tolkien before, have not been part of the "group" who would read Tolkien, or would have ever called themselves a tolkien "fan".

A rather nasty question that I have had the misfortune to hear asked if the movies were like some way to futher "convert" people into fanatics. Why this upset me was, i've never seen being a fan of an author as a sterotypical reference to a "cult". I mean, it's not like we have our own versions of metaphysics! Now, you don't have to agree with me but, it's natural for society to explode one ideal or concept so massively that it either holds on to everyone or a select group of individuals. A good example that i've seen is the Harry Potter Movies and what spawned off of them. (If you are a fan, i am one too i'm not saying you stupid.thank you.) But, this didn't seem to happen in LOTR 's case. Actually is smoothed over quiet nicely. Old fans were re-inspired to pick up the books, new fans were made and who knows, maybe some more will come. Although, this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree.

Hope I helped. (If i didn't, well i warned you this is just my Opinion.)
~The Ka~
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:02 PM   #8
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_d:

I still haven't been able to get across to him that I will never have a crush on a movie character because it is pointless. In my opinion, anyway.
*Enca mutters something ashamedly and cowers in the corner*

...okay, let's call it an obsession rather than a crush, ok?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

At least people can relate to your obsession. Do you know how hard it is to fangirl Denethor? People give you so much junk for it.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:07 PM   #10
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
White Tree Have no fear, Arda's HERE!

yeah. I guess so. It really ticked me off when boromir's hair in the movie was light red instead of black... bad. don't mess with the hair. Another thing that made me mad was when they didn't explain WHY denethor was mad. my brother kept pestering me why. (He's only read the first and second book...)

But... being resouceful as a am, Ka sent him here... as well as everyone else who asks me questions about book vs. movie knowledge...

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/ click or tell other to click on movie goer's guide. tell them they MUST read it all.or they won't understand.

hope you guys like (Especially you Morgul Q)
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:47 AM   #11
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

White Tree

*is enjoying herself far too much for comfort but is rather put out that there is no mention of Tinfang Gelion*
Old 11-08-2004, 07:33 AM   #12
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Queen
At least people can relate to your obsession. Do you know how hard it is to fangirl Denethor? People give you so much junk for it. (my bolding)
It was inevitable, given the nature of English. A new verb arises.

And to answer your question, just ask Meela.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:10 PM   #13
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

I hate it when people (basicly my friends) read the first 5 pages and get bored assuming that the rest of the book will be about hobbits.

OR

They refuse to read it because apparently its cliched which therefore means the book is unorigianl crap.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:06 PM   #14
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aule
I hate it when people (basicly my friends) read the first 5 pages and get bored assuming that the rest of the book will be about hobbits.

OR

They refuse to read it because apparently its cliched which therefore means the book is unorigianl crap.
Unfortunately, that is all too true. I'm very glad I don't go to public school, or I think I'd probably end up strangling someone for that reason. Yet another advantage of homeschooling: All violence-producing anger must be taken out on pillows. (Or the unfortunate, not-so-innocent sibling... <evil laugh>)
Old 11-20-2004, 03:56 PM   #15
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

White Tree

Quote:
And to answer your question, just ask Meela
Uh...no thanks. Last time we had a PM convo we ended up in an all out war over the pen I got off John Noble.

Yeah...