The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Tarvasa
Pile O'Bones

Tarvasa has just left Hobbiton.
What does it mean to be a true fan?

I've heard many different theories over what it takes to be a true fan of The Lord of the Rings, whether it be the movies or the books, post your thoughts here.
Tarvasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree The Secret of the True Fan

To be a true fan, you have to really like the books or movies.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

A true fan does not only drool over the cute/hott guys. They can (Faramir...drool...), but it's not all they do.

A true fan at very least makes an effort to read the books.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
I think realizing the beauty of Middle-earth and the depth of Tolkien's works is a major part of it. You don't necessarily have to know each and every thing about Middle-earth(but it would help!), you simply have to love the books and/or movies.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree

*Shrugs, then chuckles*

A true fan, eh? Well, I suppose it would mean that you have a good collection of books about Middle-Earth. You've read the Silmarillion at least once. You can distinguish between movie and book. If you like the movie (not mandatory, but a large, missing chunk if you don't), you have a basic, working knowledge of cast and crew members, scenes, actors, weapons, art, design, and a good deal of behind-the-scenes knowledge. You have a feel for the history of Middle-Earth, and at least a little knowledge about Tolkien itself.

I'd shy away from saying that these are qualifications, however, for entering the kingdom of fan-dom. I was a hard-core fan years ago when I first picked up the FotR book. (I had to sacrifice my reading rights to the next four Left Behind books in order for my older brother to let me go ahead and read RotK ahead of him!) I think it depends on mindset and passion for it. If you gradually fail to meet those "qualifications" I listed, then it would seem you're gradually losing your fan status.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #6
Orophin
Animated Skeleton

Orophin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Being a fan

Being a fan have different levels I suposse. From little to big. There are some who have just seen the movies and like them or maybe have even read the books. Hard core fans I believe relate middle earth to reality. They begin to see things in our world that relate to tolkien's. Some may think that's weird but only the true fans can understand I guess.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Angmar
To be a true fan, you have to really like the books or movies.

You took the words right off my fingertips!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:41 PM   #8
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
White Tree

Quote:
Surely it is rather beside the point to try to impose criteria by which people can measure themselves and others in order to decide whether or not they are true fans. You know if you are a fan or not, and you don't need to prove yourself as such to anyone.
Exactly! Of course, it doesn't hurt to be a barrowdowner, quote random LOTR passages to friends, and save up your money to be able to buy the soundtracks and/ or the extended versions of the DVD's.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 AM   #9
Vanya
Animated Skeleton

Vanya has just left Hobbiton.
Well, there are quasyfans, fans and fanatics. I belive I'm a fan. This means, for me, that ME is paralel world, where I escape every once in a while. It means that stories touch me every time I read them. It means that the first thing I look when I enter a bookstore is Tolkien shelf. It means trying to convert people that I find worthy of that effort. It means using Lotr screensaver or using film as background while working on comp, and then picking it up when some of favorite scenes starts. It mans telling my daughter ME bedtime stories. I could go on like this for long....
But, still, I'm not fanatic, because I didn't t learn elvish (like some people I know), or couldn't force myself to read HoME, because it's not translated yet. Even if it was, there are too much oposite informations, so I don't need the confusion. I can't pick quotes out my sleeve, I don't buy Lotr items, I hate comercial impact the film had .
Vanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:30 AM   #10
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
And, of course, true fan always writes Tolkien without capital T and exercises his correctness and happy agreement with gender equality principles by referring to much esteemed professor with 'it'

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:33 AM   #11
Silent Sam
Pile O'Bones

Silent Sam has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Interesting...

In my humble opinion, I would definately side with Elianna; DON'T drool!

I also think that it's a good idea to have read the boks as well as seen the movies.
But really, you can't say. LOTR can touch someone in hundreds of ways, not just a selected or named few.
--------------------
Beware of still people and silent watchers...
Silent Sam is offline   Reply With Quote