The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Lord of the Rings, rated PGP

In this thread, we shall see how many people here are not only geeks, but nerds as well.

I have recently decided to give The Lord of the Rings a rating of PGP, meaning pretty good physics (just enough flaws to be fun).

The examples I have are:

-Legolas walking on top of the snow. The snow isn't dense enough to support the amount of pressure from his weight only applied over the surface area of the sole of his feet. At least in the book, he has to run across the snow, but would that really make it any more believable?

-Legolas climbing up the oliphaunt on the arrows. The arrows have a modulus of rupture (points beyond which the material cannot bounce back to its original shape, and will be likely to break) of 18400 lb/sq in. Hypothesising that the length of the arrow from the oliphaunt's skin to Legolas' hand is 6 inches and the diameter of the arrow is 1/8 in, I find that the arrow could only withstand a load of 4 lbs, and if someone suddenly applied the weight, only 2 lbs.

-Gollum talking with his reflection. The stream is in motion and therefore wasn't a flat surface and couldn't provide as unwavering a reflection as is seen in the movie.

(There's another example, but it's in the EE, so I'll wait until Tuesday to post it.)

Most of these examples have to do with Legolas the elf. So what's the point of having Elves if you're not going to occasionally let them break the laws of physics?

Anyone else nerd enough to think up and post other examples?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Either its very clever or very ridiculos(sp), maybe i should invent a pun in the future to comment this...but for now

-Hobbits surviving in Mordor without water, and doing hard tasks, they would faint, and you would think faster because they are smaller then men
Old 12-10-2004, 07:26 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
maybe i should invent a pun in the future to comment this...but for now
Ha!

Quote:
-Hobbits surviving in Mordor without water, and doing hard tasks, they would faint, and you would think faster because they are smaller then men
Darn you! Got to it before me...but let's see if I can think of a few.

I don't know if this would defy physics...but

1) Haldir's making it from Lorien to Helm's Deep in a matter of a few hours. I guess they had Scottie do them a favor. Beam me up!

2) Gothmog, I mean a person that ugly can not be human, he can't even be an orc.

3) Aragorn (TTT)- You have 2,000 good men riding North as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. He will return and fight for his king.
First, when Aragorn met the Riders of Rohan there didn't even seem to be 200 of them. Now, he automatically knows there are 2,000. I guess the Rohirrim barrowed the cloning machine from Star Wars.

Last edited by Boromir88; 12-10-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #4
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
-Legolas walking on top of the snow. The snow isn't dense enough to support the amount of pressure from his weight only applied over the surface area of the sole of his feet. At least in the book, he has to run across the snow, but would that really make it any more believable?
As long as he did not stand still, this would be possible. I was watching a fairly laddish show called Brainiac Science Abuse on Sky the other week (yes, yes, I know it's hardly intellectual, but they blow up microwaves and that...) and they did an experiment to prove that you can walk on custard. They filled a swimming pool with the stuff and yes, you can walk on it; but if you stand still it sucks you in like quicksand. Just a mere trifle for you there...
Old 12-10-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Thanks Lalwende! Did they explain at all why you can do that?

Here's another: dwarf tossing. No way Aragorn can give Gimli enough initial velocity to get him from the side door to the causeway. Gimli weighs too much.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:16 AM   #6
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Thanks Lalwende! Did they explain at all why you can do that?
I think it was something to do with your weight being spread across the molecules and pushing the water away, and the explanation was sismilar to that given for why quicksand works in the same way. But I have to admit, I was in hysterics at the absurdity of doing an experiment involving walking on custard, so the science part was lost on me a bit. I think a quick 'google' for quicksand should tell you why this happens!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
wow, Boromir u are like my new idol

Quote:
First, when Aragorn met the Riders of Rohan there didn't even seem to be 200 of them. Now, he automatically knows there are 2,000. I guess the Rohirrim barrowed the cloning machine from Star Wars.
that was WAY 2 funny