The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
Tulkas the Mighty
Haunting Spirit

Tulkas the Mighty has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Christmas Gifts

In light of this approaching holiday season, I thought it would be a good idea for us all to put our heads together and ask questions about gift ideas... whether its for putting it on your own list or for someone else. Ask questions of other people who may already own it and recommened things that you have and enjoy. Begin!
I have question to start it off... Does anyone know if the trivia in the LotR Trivial Pursuit is from the movie or thebook? Would you reccommend this game?

I have the LotR monoploy and while it doesn't have trivia or anything like that, its fun if you enjoy the game already just because of the Middle Earth twist.
Tulkas the Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Seeing that the EE has recently come out, I'm sure that would make a pretty fine gift.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Does anyone know if the trivia in the LotR Trivial Pursuit is from the movie or thebook?
From a toy store page-
Quote:
Product Description: Classic Trivial Pursuit game play with 1,800 The Lord of the Rings questions based on the movie trilogy.
Yep, it's the movies.

At first I didn't want to get it because it was about the movies (because I know more about the books), but my mom pointed out that it levels the playing field a bit if I were to play it with my friends. If the game was about the books I'd kick their butts, but they've watched the movie as many times as I have so they might give me some competition that way.

I'm you're a Risk player, you might as well buy LOTR Risk. That's one thing I'm getting for Christmas.

And ROTK EE... well... that goes without saying.

(oh, if you want a book-based game, check this out)

Last edited by the phantom; 12-14-2004 at 12:41 PM. Reason: stuff in ( )
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:39 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas the Mighty
Does anyone know if the trivia in the LotR Trivial Pursuit is from the movie or thebook? Would you reccommend this game?
There are (as far as I know) two games - one based on the book and one based on the films. See this thread for further information: Lotr trivial pursuit.

I would certainly recommend the book-based game, which I reviewed on the thread linked to above.

Personally, I am hoping that Santa will bring me this game for Christmas. It looks gorgeous - worth it for the gameboard alone.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I know the book trivial pursuit (and probably the movie one too) can be found at Barnes and Noble.

I also love the LOTR Risk Game, brings back the fun 8 hr days of risk, only LOTR style.

SpM, I haven't played the War of the Ring yet, but also another good one looks like the Battle for Middle-Earth. (click)
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Oh, love all the trivia games! *drool*

I'm hoping for some of the HoME books, personally, and the GBA game of "LotR: The Third Age". *bounces* And a new LotR calender.

Another thing, which I will probably be getting for myself, is Blind Guardian's CD "Nightfall in Middle-earth". Silm songs! Huzzah!

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~