The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
three rings

bombadils influence on our reading of the narrative

I am curious as to opinions on how Bombadils inclusion influences our reading of the remainder of the novel.
Do you think his inclusion has any notable resonances later in the book?
Old 03-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Mumak o' Harad
Pile O'Bones

Mumak o' Harad has just left Hobbiton.
I remember the first time I read the books. After the appearance of Bombadil and his role in saving the Hobbits, I always thought he would show up out of the blue to do something heroic; however, the ring was finally destroyed and I thought: "What's up with Bombadil, the guy who's older than everything? Even the Ents had their part on the war and he did nothing at all!"
Mumak o' Harad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dűm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Tom

I remember that it took a little while before I really noticed that the Ring didn't affect Tom, and when I realised it, I think perhaps it changed the book a little. The Ring was threathening the whole of Middle-Earth with its incredible power, but still it couldn't affect the mind of Tom Bombadil, what- or whoever he really is. It meant that the Ring could not manipulate everything, there was still hope. And though I don't know what Tom is (having read a few discussions about this here only served to make me more confused ), it is mentioned that he seems like something between a man and a hobbit in appearance, and his love for the nature around him, and many of his habits seem slightly hobbitish. If there was one person the Ring could not affect, perhaps there were others who could withstand its power, perhaps the hobbits would make it.

But the first time I read the book I didn't think about this, it takes a lot of time to notice the wonderful details of LotR, and I can't remember if I thought very much about Tom the first time I read about him except for "Oh, how odd. Why isn't he invisible?"
Old 03-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Tom (as well as Farmer Maggot) are important in getting the hobbits to grow up. I think the reason we see Farmer Maggot different from the rest of the hobbits back in hobbiton, is because he's talked to Tom, and seen him. Similar instance with the Hobbits. Tom helped the hobbits learn there were people living in the Shire long before Hobbits, and there will be people living there long after. Your typical hobbit doesn't care about the outside world, and is only concerned about themselves (thinking anything else is "queer.") Where Bombadil taught the Hobbits there's much more out there besides The Shire.

Bombadil and Treebeard are interesting comparisons. Both the two ancient most beings left on Middle-earth, both have sort have been forgotten. Where they are different is Treebeard does something to help out in the War, Bombadil doesn't. Therefor Treebeard is still remembered, and Bombadil is just sort of known to very few and will most likely be forgotten.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
Sharpis Corbis
Pile O'Bones

Sharpis Corbis has just left Hobbiton.
It seems to me, that since Tom wasn't effected by the ring, and was always saving the hobbits, if he was used a lot more, saving the hobbits in any situation, the story we become dull. And at the Council of Elrond, didn't they discuss having him keep it, or hold on to it for a while. Or am I mistaken?
Sharpis Corbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

You're right, Sharpis Corbis: Gandalf explains that giving the Ring to Tom Bombadil would not solve the problem, for Tom would probably forget about it and misplace it, and in the end, Sauron would find him out and destroy Tom to get the Ring.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote