The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Faramir's (and Boromir's) Dream

What do you feel the origin of Faramir's dream (which apparently Boromir's shared at least once) was? The dream in which they heard the omen,

Seek for the Sword that was broken;
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall councils be taken;
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand,
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.

I am of the opinion that the dream-message was not sent by Eru or the Valar, but rather most likely by Gandalf or perhaps Elrond, as they both had vested interests in seeing Aragorn back on the throne...

Last edited by Sardy; 04-13-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Sardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
I dont think that it was Gandalf or Elrond, since they both were more or less surprised that all of those guys showed up at the council of Elrond, which wasn't actually planned.
I guess, it was just, well, let's call it fate.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have always thought it interesting that the dream happened in time for Boromir to set off a long long time before Frodo did, and also the fact that "fate" celarly wanted Frodo and Faramir to meet and consequently was Boromir's insistence on going defying fate. It is a tricky question because Boromir's treachery and death was vital as things turned out for the success of the quest. Things surely would not have worked out so well if the events at Parth Galen had been different, and certainly if Frodo had met Boromir in the woods of Ithilien he would not have been allowed on his way.

I know I have posted about this in another thread but I have not the time now to search and link - but I will be interested to see what other comments this provokes.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
I've always viewed the sender of the dreams to be Eru.
By then it was pretty clear that the Valar plan of sending
the Istari was insufficient, and to some extent counterproductive,
and I believe (in Letters?) it's said that gandalf was sent
back enhanced because the original Vala plan hadn't worked.
Since Faramir got most of the dreams it seems he was meant to
go, and while Boromir would probably have not let frodo go on,
if Faramir had been in the Fellowship it's less likely he would have
been tempted, and might even have gone with frodo at leats through
Ithilien.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Sardy
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I have always thought it interesting that the dream happened in time for Boromir to set off a long long time before Frodo did...
To my mind, that points towards Gandalf as the purpetrator of the dream (rather than Elrond), as even though Frodo hadn't yet set off, Gandalf had certainly put into motion his forthcoming journey.

Balin999, I've just reread The Council of Elrond and don't see anything that overtly indicates that Gandalf (or Elrond) were surprised by the turnout. In fact, Gandalf specifically tells Frodo that he wasn't surprised by anything that happened, with the singular exception of Frodo (and Bilbo's) offer to take the Ring to Mt. Doom.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Strange, somehow I remember Elrond saying that this council was not planned or at least that the people were not called together, but "by accident" came to Rivendell at the same time. At least Boromir and Gloin. But I may be wrong, of course.
And as for Eru being the "sender" of the dream, that would be worth a discussion, if entities like Eru do something like that. I don't think so, to be honest.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Sardy
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balin999
And as for Eru being the "sender" of the dream, that would be worth a discussion, if entities like Eru do something like that. I don't think so, to be honest.
The thing that makes me think that Eru (or the Valar) were not responsible for the dream is that they seems to be taking a definite "hands-off" approach to Middle-earth (at least in the Third Age), and short of sending the Istari, don't want to actively affect its outcome...
Old 04-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy
To my mind, that points towards Gandalf as the purpetrator of the dream (rather than Elrond), as even though Frodo hadn't yet set off, Gandalf had certainly put into motion his forthcoming journey.

Not quite certain but if you look at the timeline events are working themselves out. I am not sure how long a period the dreams occured. Gandalf reached Hobbiton on 12th April. Boromir set out on July 4. Does it have to be a specifice entity sending the dream - could it be some kind of collective unconscious/synchronicity at work? However the original name of Gandalf "Olorin" connects him with dreams and visons,

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I have to agree with Balin here and that it was Eru who sent these "dreams." And this is Tolkien playing with the idea of fate.

Quote:
To my mind, that points towards Gandalf as the purpetrator of the dream (rather than Elrond), as even though Frodo hadn't yet set off, Gandalf had certainly put into motion his forthcoming journey.~Sardy
But the only problem with that is as stated Elrond and Gandalf didn't send out invitations to come see the new gift in Rivendell. Rivendell had been a place where all races and people came to seek council from the great Elrond, and this was no different. It was by chance that all these people came together at the same time to deliver their news and seek advice from Elrond.

Boromir had gone to Rivendell to get answers to the dream he and Faramir had. He couldn't understand it, and so he went to Elrond to ask what it meant. Then also to ask for council on the growing threat of Sauron and Gondor is getting beat back. So, it just doesn't seem likely to me that Elrond (or Gandalf) would send this dream. As they didn't do any sort of advertising for the Council of Elrond, all those who came showed up by chance to receive council.

Mithalwen raised an interesting question, on whether Faramir was the one "destined" to go, and Boromir's insistance screwed up fate. Rather interesting, never considered that before, but I still have to disagree with her.

I think it was destined for Frodo to meet Faramir AND Boromir. Because though they be brothers they are two totally different characters and personalities. If anything the Fellowship needed was strength. I mean they had an old man, a short dwarf, a singing elf, and 4 hobbits, the only one with a bit of muscle was Aragorn, without Boromir's added strength the Fellowship could not have made it through Caradhras, Moria, or Sarn Gebir. Could Faramir have provided this? I don't know, but the Fellowship needed strength to get them through the hardships, and Boromir provides that.

Also, what's important to consider is let's say Faramir and Boromir switch, they swap. Faramir goes to Rivendell and joins the Fellowship, Boromir stays back and defends his city. How grave would this be? Frodo running into Boromir alone in the woods as opposed to Faramir. Boromir capturing Frodo with no old man or wannabee king saying "tisk tisk Boromir, no no." How grave would that be? Na, I think that both brothers were meant to encounter the ring and Frodo, as they both have to face the test, one succeeds the other stumbles.

Not only that but I think Boromir was destined to meet Aragorn as well. I mean the Steward's son meeting the claimed to be King of his realm? Had Boromir stayed back he would have resisted Aragorn's claim to the throne and as we've seen before with Pelendur the Stewards had quite a bit of influence and power in deciding whethey they can relinquish their throne or not. But, in going to Rivendell, Boromir goes through many months with Aragorn, starts out a bit rocky, but in the end Boromir accepts Aragorn and bestows upon him to "Save his people."

Quote:
The most curious thing in the dream in my opinion is that Faramir sees it many (damn my memory) times and Boromir just once. The fact has always intrigued me. Maybe Faramir was more sensitive to the message? And did that actually hint that he should have been the one to go to Rivendell?
The only thing that I can think of is the fact that Faramir had a deeper love for lore than Boromir. Boromir's only care was of ancient battles and heroic feets, Faramir loved to study much more and was a better student ( ). This dream had really nothing to do with Boromir's interests. I mean it wasn't about war or heroes, he didn't care for this "lore business" and so he didn't have it as many times as Faramir who loved that kind of stuff. That's the only thing I can think of however, there may be, and probably is more to it.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy View Post
I am of the opinion that the dream-message was not sent by Eru or the Valar, but rather most likely by Gandalf or perhaps Elrond, as they both had vested interests in seeing Aragorn back on the throne...
It could be a joint message from Vairë and Lórien Gosh, I haven't posted here in ages. I'd say more, but right now I'm ill and my brain isn't working.