The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Jonathan

White Tree Time to fix Gandalf versus the Witchking

I am a fan of the movies but it is time to fix the scene where the witch king breaks Gandalfs' staff. Someone who knows video has to edit the scene - keep the part where Gandalf meets the WitchKing and have him say " do you not know death when you see it? This is my hour" Then cut out the part where the Witchking breaks Gandallf's staff, show Gandalf on his horse - and not on the ground , cut back to the Witchking's face and then hear the sound of the horn or Rohan .Then show the Witchking flying off.

Then put it up on YouTube. After some time it will become the official scene in the hearts of fans.

I don't know anyone who is a fan of the books who likes this scene the way it is.

With all the videos and clips of the films already on the net I would guess it would not be difficult at all to do.

That scene ruins the films IMHO.

Someone out there please fix the biggest flaw of the films.

You are right I ought to get a life, nevertheless it is something that ought to be done.

If you agree with this please tell other fans.

Last edited by Jonathan; 06-19-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Belling cats

Jonathan, welcome to the Downs!

What a wonderful idea. I'm guessing that the reason that it hasn't been done is that one is messing with copyrighted material, and getting that to load into editing software is never fun (is it even legal?).

I'd be happy with the scene 'as is' (shudders) if only Peter Jackson would put a slim smile on the prone Gandalf's face after the Witch-King finishes his brag. That little addition, to me, would change the scene completely by showing that, even when down, Gandalf did not despair and knew a 'dead man talking' when he saw one.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
That part was all right; otherwise, it would all be too-stereotypical Hero that does not know or show fear. It showed (a bit?) of Gandalf's human-ness, because even in the books Olorin said he was afraid. (See the UT, The Istari, I don't have that book right now in my pocket). In my opinion Jackson did a pretty good job at the movies, and though the book version is almost always better than the movie, he interpreted the book really good.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Mansun

Sting

PJ & his 2 assistants to this day have no idea how much damage they have done to the final film with this scene. Their commentary on the scene is of sheer foolishness & cluelessness.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Actually, this would be a cinch. I'll see if I can wrangle it today, but it might have to wait until the weekend. You can help - go to YouTube and find an already-existing video of the Gandalf-Witchking encounter.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
There's nothing wrong with this scene existing in the movie, as Gandalf's entire nature has been adapted for the film version. The scene plays out as it should.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote