The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Your Top TEN - CHAPTERS

Well, we have the top five characters topic, so I thought this might be interesting, only how about your top 10? If you want you can limit it to five.

What are your (as of now, because we all know they usually change) favorite chapters in The Lord of the Rings?

You don't have to give any particular order. Mine go a little like this:

- The Ring Goes South
- The Old Forest
- In the House of Tom Bombadil
- Fog on the Barrow-Downs
- The Great River
- The Departure of Boromir
- Treebeard
- The King of the Golden Hall
- The Black Gate Opens
- The Scouring of the Shire

That was hard...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That is hard, indeed, to choose 10 only.

Here are mine (not in particular order)

1. The Shadow of the Past - One of the most interesting chapters giving lots of background information. Nicely written also - not a bit boring, though there are only two people sitting and talking.

2. Fog on the Barrow-Downs - Deligtfully scary!

3. A Knife in the Dark - I love how Tolkien builds the tension. Nightmarish, isn't it? The nazgul are revealed in all their glory...

4. The Council of Elrond - Most important chapter in the story, also allowing us to meet some new main characters. We finally get an idea of the scope of the Quest.

5. The Passage of the Marshes - Love the description of this dark haunted place

6. Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit - One of my favorites from the first reading. Thje contrast of fair Ithilien and the slag-heaps of Mordor...

7. The Stairs of Cirith Ungol - Breathtaking description of Minas Morgul. And the scene of near-detection by the Witch-King is just great.

8. The Choices of Master Samwise - for my favorite orc-talk between Gorbag and Shagrat. To understand Orcs one should only read this short conversation...

9. The Siege of Gondor - for its closing scene, the confrontation between the Witch-King and Gandalf at the breached Gate of Minas Tirith. And horns of Rohan...

10. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields - Fateful meeting of Eowyn and the Witch-King. The prophecy fulfilled - in such a weird way!

Funny - we only have Barrow-Downs in common!

Last edited by Gordis; 06-21-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Moderator's note

Since this is a discussion forum, we do ask that members who post lists give at least a brief explanation for their choices. Please don't just name your favourite chapters - tell us why you chose them! Thanks.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, well, well...
  1. The Siege of Gondor:
    I know the arguments between Gandalf, Denethor, Faramir, and Pippin aren't really at the center of the story, and shouldn't merit the first spot here, but I enjoy reading them like few passages else. Also, the development of the siege with the climax of the confrontation of Gandalf and the Witch-king is a nail-biter.
  2. The Shadow of the Past:
    It's amazing how Tolkien turned a chapter which, in essence, is nothing but boring exposition into such an exciting read.
  3. The Bridge of Khazad-dûm:
    The most exciting of the more action-focussed chapters. This chapter draws upon the atmosphere established in "A Journey in the Dark" and makes it unbearably dense. It is maybe the part where danger seems most "graspable".
  4. The Breaking of the Fellowship:
    The dialogue of Boromir and Frodo is more than superb, and Amon Hen is a real breath-holder.
  5. The Stairs of Cirith Ungol:
    The description of Minas Morgul alone would qualify this chapter, but then there's also the near-detection by the Witch-king and Gollum's near-repentence.
  6. Mount Doom:
    The climax chapter. I love the last scenes between Gollum and Frodo and Sam - quite intense.
  7. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields:
    Probably the most fast-paced chapter of all. The chapter contains the death of Théoden and the fight of Éowyn, Merry, and the Witch-king - enough said.
    Death!
  8. The Pyre of Denethor:
    The extension of "The Siege of Gondor" concerning Denethor, Faramir, Gandalf, and Pippin.
  9. The Window on the West:
    I had to include a more quiet chapter here. I have to admit it took me a long time to appreciate the three Faramir-chapters in Book IV.
  10. The Council of Elrond:
    The point where finally everything starts to make sense. At the surface, this chapter is painfully long and contains painfully much of dry talk, but at the second view, this chapter contains more excellent passages than can be listed, and it's a joy to experience how this mess of various accounts given leads precisely where Tolkien wants it to lead.
Sooo many nice chapters left out. *sniff*

Hmm... if more people add their favourites here, I might be tempted to turn it into one great list, giving 10 points for 1st place on each top 10, 9 for 2nd etc.
The result could be interesting.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
OK, I have edited my post above, inserting some explanations.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
ok, here it goes

1 The Steward and the King I find this a delightful chapter from beginning-the scenes with Eowyn and Faramir are really touching-to end. And the description of Aragorn's coronation is simply splendid.

2 The Siege of Gondor Especially the end. I still feel shivers down my spine whenever I read the part with Grond advancing.

3 Lothlorien It has to be the best description I've ever read.

4 The Houses of Healing As Aragorn is my favorite character, it is impossible for me not to like the chapter. It's touching, beautiful and very impressive.

5 The Window on the West Mainly because of the talks between Faramir and Frodo, but also because of the description of Henneth Annun.

6 The Shadow of the Past I like the contrast between it and the first chapter of the story. I really was taken by surprise when I first read it. I did not expect things to get so dark so soon

7 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields Another one that can still send shivers down my spine. I also like the song of the mounds of Mundburg at the end.

8 Three is Company Because it has a very nice atmosphere with the three Hobbits walking and all. Whenever I read it I feel the urge to go on a trip myself. Also, I like their meeting with the elves and Frodo's talk with Gildor.

9 The Fields of Cormallen Wonderful and very impressive. Also, my favorite quote is there, the one when the ministrel starts singing. It's really beautiful.

10 The Grey Havens What can I say? The perfect ending to a perfect story.