The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is Legolas afraid to get his nails dirty?

I've started to reread the trilogy in English for the first time in a while and one thing I noticed is that Legolas never seems to break a sweat. When there is hard work to be done Boromir always proclaims how lucky the company is to have strong men like himself around and he is quite right. In the snow of Caradhras it is he and Aragorn who clear a way through the snow and carry the hobbits across it. Later, at the rapids of Sarn Gebir, the two strong men alone carry the three boats up to the portage-way.

What, couldn't Legolas lend a hand now and then? Perhaps Gandalf is spared from a lot of back-breaking labour posing as an old man while Gimli lacks the height required for the above tasks, but what excuse does Legolas have? Is he worried about his hair-do? Or does he simply lack the strenght and endurance for hard labour?

And a more general question: Are men of the high race more physically imposing than Elves, particulary the Moriquendi? The examples of Turin and Tuor seem to imply this, although they undoubtedly were exceptional individuals.

What do you think?

Last edited by skip spence; 08-24-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typos
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien once described Legolas (this quote can be found reproduced in The Book of Lost Tales) when reacting to an artist's depiction of his character...

'He was tall as a young tree, lithe, immensely strong, able swiftly to draw a great war-bow and shoot down a Nazgûl, endowed with the tremendous vitality of Elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock and through snow, the most tireless of all the Fellowship.' JRRT

I think this can be found in part II, IIRC.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Quote:
What, couldn't Legolas lend a hand now and then?
Good point. In the retreat from Caradhras couldn't he have
helped clear the snow and carry a hobbit?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Good point. In the retreat from Caradhras couldn't he have
helped clear the snow and carry a hobbit?
*The Dark Elf rolls his eyes*

Grunt work? Pffft! We leave such menial toil for men (whom an Elf of Imladris once likened to sheep), or to dwarves (when their short stature proves indispensible, like stooping over smithies to craft armor, or getting cobwebs out from under tables). We elves devote immense amounts of energy to philosophical pursuits and the arts, without which the free folk would suffer the darkness of ignorance (as well as a pronounced dearth of fashion sense).

However, during battle we can be counted on to save our allies from any danger (we did, after all, turn the tide at Helms Deep). Now, would you be so kind as to hand me a quiver of arrows. There are flying Nazgul that need to be shot down.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.

Yeah, that's the impression I've got as well. The Elves are a just a bit too lofty to showel the manure so to speak.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
In fact, I've often wondered: did Elves even produce something as filthy as manure? They do eat food (lembas bread for instance), but then again, they are the Eldar, and could such lofty and wondrous creatures actually be associated with excrement?

Even though the description above states that Legolas was wondrously strong, it seems that in the stories, the Elves only use this strength to fight baddies, like Feanor and Fingolfin in the Sil. When does it say that the Elves used their strength in any purely physical, he-man (he-elf?), stone-lifting contest of strength?