The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2002, 03:40 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril No congratulations??

The Barrow-Downs passed the 2000 member mark days ago; even as I write, it's 2100 already. There used to be great excitement over each additional 100, over reaching the 1000 mark, but no one has even mentioned this! Have the "old" members gotten too used to success to lose their cool over 2000, or is it too tiring to keep up with that many?! At any rate, congratulations, Barrow-Wight and consorts, on a great site that attracts so many people of many nations and all ages!
I am uncorking a bottle of champagne to celebrate, so welcome over to anyone who would like to join in! "If you want it, come and claim it!" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 07:28 AM   #2
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

I want champagne! I want champagne! Oh please, can I have some?!?

*starts to sing*

HAPPY 2000th member la-la!
Happy 2000th member da-daaa!
Happy 2000th member, the Barrows!
Happy 2000th member hurr-ah!

LoL I know I noticed that there was something like 1987 members the other day, but I didn't notice when the 2000th member came here.. oh well.. ANYWAY.
Could I bring some miruvor?
Old 03-16-2002, 08:08 AM   #3
Tar-Míriel

1420!

Please, may I join in congratulating BW and cohorts for a great site (that will have a lot to answer for to my superiors soon...) and more than 2K members? And even more to the point, can I PLEASE join in the party? I'll bring a bottle or two, and can promise to sing some assorted drinking songs, too! Party on dudes!!!

(and that's probably enough annoyingly active smilies for now!)

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Tar-Míriel ]
Old 03-16-2002, 08:22 AM   #4
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As of now there are 2101 members.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Ahanarion ]
Old 03-16-2002, 08:51 AM   #5
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Thanks for the notification, Estelyn. Our numbers swell so quickly that it seems almost superfluous for me to get excited every time, but I'm very happt everyone else does [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] . After all, as long as you folks are having fun, I'm happy as can be! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks again, and keep talking Tolkien!!!!
Old 03-16-2002, 09:50 AM   #6
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tar-Miriel! Where did ya get those [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] active smilies? Those are neat!

Way to go Barrow-Downs!!!!! Woo hoo!
I raise a bottle of miruvor to an awesome and wonderful site! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2002, 10:17 AM   #7
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I forget to celebrate 2000 I can celebrate 3000 next week.
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 01:05 PM   #8
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quality, not quantity, Estelyn. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

-réd
Old 03-16-2002, 02:49 PM   #9
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Congratulations, Barrow-Downs. I notice a lot of our new members are sticking around, too, nice to see many wights and shades about. Or perhaps not see..

I have a request of our older, or perhaps newer but creative members: we're going through a topic lull. Can we be bold, folks, have any creative ideas? I include one of my own topics among the lame, game and otherwise plain.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:15 PM   #10
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

Most of the topics I think of require people to have read the books. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2002, 03:31 PM   #11
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Those are the best kind!
Old 03-16-2002, 08:30 PM   #12
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Quote:
Tar-Miriel! Where did ya get those active smilies? Those are neat!
What active smilies?

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]
Old 03-16-2002, 09:30 PM   #13
twinkle
Animated Skeleton

twinkle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ack, bruce!

looking at those things for more than 5 seconds gives me seizures....lol

*twinkle smacks bruce with a large trout....
in case you missed me [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

twinks-evil-twin
Old 03-16-2002, 09:35 PM   #14
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Hey now, none of that!
Old 03-16-2002, 09:41 PM   #15
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Yes, congrats are in order.

If I may make a suggestion? Some kind of instructions for newbies that suggests they use the search for certain topics they may want to post? I am noticing quite a few repetitions in the 'Movies and Newcomers' forums (forae?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And it is probably best to try to keep repetitions down for the sake of the software and server.

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Glenethor ]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 10:05 PM   #16
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

You know Glen, I think I disagree with that idea. A conversation between different groups of people on even identical subjects will be completely different, fresh and new. It's about what the participants bring to the table, not the subject itself.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:47 AM   #17
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

besides, it would never work.
Old 03-17-2002, 08:54 AM   #18
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Ah, Mhoram, I am forever in awe of your optimism.
Old 03-17-2002, 09:12 AM   #19
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

realism, practicality, experience.
Old 03-17-2002, 09:56 AM   #20
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Yes, but kindness is more important than wisdom. And realizing that is the first step toward wisdom.
...I would look up the name of whoever said this, but this has been too rough and tiring of a weekend to make too much effort.
Mhorie, I understand why someone like you may get annoyed by the changes around here, but this is not Lothlorien, and the Barrow-Wight does not wear Nenya on his finger.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:50 AM   #21
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Yes, but kindness is more important than wisdom. -Lush
Matter of opinion.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:10 PM   #22
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

"Kindness is more important than wisdom." Oooo! Waxing philosophical are we? I love it. (Where's Mr. Underhill and Kalessin?)

Kindness is inherent in wisdom, and being easier, is a logical first step. Though perhaps one has to be wise enough to know that, or otherwise be guided or stumble into wisdom and recognize the first step in hindsight. The wise consistantly demonstrate kindness, or they have "left the path of wisdom." There is a difference between wisdom and vast knowledge, which is amply typified in Saruman. His vast knowledge untempered by wisdom destroyed him, as it did nothing but feed his pride.

Only likes and dislikes are a matter of opinion.

-Maril

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 03-17-2002, 02:14 PM   #23
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! May the Barrow-Downs continue to grow and propser. May we all grow in knowledge of the works of Tolkien!

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:37 PM   #24
Lush
Fair and Cold

Boots

Quote:
Kindness is inherent in wisdom, and being easier, is a logical first step.
Really? I personally think that there is no way that being kind is easier than being wise, as exemplified by the many evil geniuses that have populated our world over the ages. I think also that Saruman's main problem was that he was very wise, yet ultimately unkind. He placed his own ambition and satisfaction above everyone else's, and perceived himself to be superior due to his vast knowledge, which, to me at least, is the height of unkindness.
What I was ultimately trying to say, or post, rather, was that being good to people should be our overall priority as forum members-yes, staying on topic and contributing to interesting discussions (as well as good grammar-Maril, weird spelling is one of my pet peeves as well) is important, but without general courtesy this place will stop being enjoyable, regardless of all the wisdom that radiates from the Tolkien scholars that have gathered here.
Yes, wisdom may lead us far, but if it is not accompanied by kindness, it will lead us far in the wrong direction. This is my personal opinion, and if I'm being too abstract...Oh well, you can take it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2002, 03:06 PM   #25
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Oh, by no means are you being too abstract! I am delighted!

I may not have made a clear enough distinction between "wisdom" and "knowledge" in my post above. In this context I mean knowledge, as in knowledge of lore, and perhaps skill in displaying that knowledge. Knowledge vast, yet superficial, untempered by depth and understanding of principles. Principles which form the basis of ethics. And the basis of kindness. Wisdom on the other hand, by my definition here, is depth of understanding of underlying principles.

There is no such thing, in this definintion, as unprincipled wisdom. Though there is unprincipled knowledge. My thought is that someone with knowledge, coupled with wisdom and principle, will naturally wish to share it with those who don't have it, or naturally respect the good nature of those who don't require it. While one with unprincipled knowledge, who has never known or forgotten fundamentals ("a white page can be overwritten!" - "then it is no longer white.. and he who breaks a thing to learn what it is has left the path of wisdom") is likely to become arrogant. And their knowledge then might as well be a poison, as it's an agent (or excuse) to undermine their character, and what could have been growing wisdom.

Kindness I think is easier than wisdom, because it does not require a full understanding of equality between human beings, it merely requires a good heart. But to become consistant, it needs a solid understanding of principles, so it leads to wisdom. And is its ultimate expression.

In other words I agree. I think the influx of new member is a wonderful opportunity to examine what we were like when we where young and irritating, lacking even knowledge of the Silmarils (gah! what a thought), and grow a bit.

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 03-17-2002, 03:21 PM   #26
Lush
Fair and Cold

Boots

Well, you can get a PhD in physics, in sociology, in history...But kindness is a quality that cannot be measured in that way; furthermore, kindness is something a person has to work on every hour of their waking life (take me, for example, always trying really hard to refrain from flipping off annoying drivers in morning traffic... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ).
I think that the principle of kindness being more important than wisdom should be read with an "outside" perspective. Certainly, these two are intertwined, but people who do not stop to think about this often value wisdom, or rather their distorted perception of wisdom, over the other. This is where the whole "the ends justify the means" principle originates as well-doing what's profitable, not what's kind. Kindness itself is often viewed as a form of idiocy, as in, "what was UP with that idiot Bilbo, why couldn't he have finished that nasty Gollum off?" (Yes, I know that this isn't what Frodo says, but anyway...) In the end, we, of course, realize that Bilbo's pity, and kindness, is responsible for saving everyone involved. If there isn't a lesson in that...
See? I do try to stay on-topic.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:52 PM   #27
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Exactly so. I'm agreeing with you, but refining a difference between knowledge, the accumulation of finite information (therefore it can measured with a PhD), and wisdom, the insight and understanding of fundamental human principles and ethics that necessarily underlie kindness. This can be observed, but no, not measured.

Kindness I think is the act. Wisdom is understanding the reasons for it, (and the understanding that is developed from it and extends kindness).

Here's an example. I stopped myself from tailgating slow drivers. Out of kindness, I try not to be irritated with people in the left lane, driving 10 mph.

But what's the thinking behind this, the motive? Well, in one case my thinking might be compassion: "gee, that old lady is probably driving in the left lane because she's scared of all the incoming traffic on the right, and can't handle people passing on both sides in the middle lane. Wow! that must be scary for her, poor thing."

Or it might be equalizing myself with others: "You know, some day my peripheral vision will deteriorate too - and I already can barely see over the steering wheel!"
Or "Shoot, I've put on make up in the rearview mirror myself many times. I bet that woman in the suit is running late for work."

The principles of compassion, of equality, not putting yourself above others, are what I call wisdom. The thinking that supports kindess. I believe this is developed more and more as you practice it.

Saruman is an example of dry knowledge without wisdom (see, I can stay on topic too, although I think philosophical discussions are perfectly in line with the LOTR). Gandalf is an example of wisdom.

Always a pleasure, Lush. I expected you to come forward with some fine depth, based on your pithy observations in the past. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2002, 04:06 AM   #28
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi,

My suggestion is based on two facts:

Oldtimers often get tired of answering the same questions over and over, especially if they are the only ones who have the necessary info to impart; Secondly, the search engine (unless customized) for this software is memory intensive, and, sooner or later, will stop functioning unless the number of threads are pruned back. So, I am not really thinking of myself here. I am a recent arrival, and so do not qualify for the role of 'Resident Sage with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome;' however, I did own a BBS that uses this software, and the 'Search' problems developed as I have briefly described. Then we had to have a debate on what to prune....

I think if you explained this to people, you'd have less repetition. I was looking at some of the really early threads in the 'Books' forums, and they were very interesting. Did PJ really drop in on you? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] In any case, I am just trying to be helpful.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:24 PM   #29
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Been out of the country for a bit and seem to have missed some "interesting times". Maril, I suggest you follow the lead of Mhoram and Jessica Jade. There is a wealth of interesting threads archived at the Downs, just waiting to be reawakened. Do a bit of exploring and bring something interesting "up to the top". I can't speak for my fellow old-timers but I've recently been too busy to think about starting new threads.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:55 PM   #30
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

I have, actually.

Out of sheer curiousity, where did you go?

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Maril
Old 03-21-2002, 07:40 AM   #31
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The Bahamas
Old 03-21-2002, 08:06 AM   #32
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

Lucky dog [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2002, 11:55 AM   #33
Lush
Fair and Cold

Boots

Some people lounge on sunny beaches, others sit at home with sore throats and nagging little brothers... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Hope you had fun, Mith. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'll get over my jealously soon, I promise.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:19 AM   #34
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Congratulations to everyone who setup The Barrow Downs. I remember being here 6 months ago and there was less than 500 members. It has really gotten active around here because of the movies.

I have not been posting much though. I dont like to post unless I have something good to say or ask, and I am just starting HoME. So I think it will be a while before I come back on. I really want to talk in The Silmarillion Revised Edition forum but I dont feel worthy yet. The long posts scare me, you know.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #35
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glenethor! I'm with you! There are many new (repeat) topics that I just don't post to because I've already answered that question somewhere in a bygone thread, and I imagine that others will get annoyed if I'm always repeating myself. Maybe they won't, but that's what I consider before regurgitating a post. On the other hand, I am just as guilty as the "newbie's" of not exploring and bringing to the surface those dormant threads. I should (and now will) be more diligent about checking them out once in a while. Anyway, congrats on the 2000 BW!
Old 03-22-2002, 01:47 PM   #36
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Sting

Old 03-25-2002, 02:48 AM   #37
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cheez....and I remember it being nearly 1300 when I became a member.... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:53 AM   #38
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not long after I had become a member I mean..
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 07:16 PM   #39
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*gets out her party favors and jumps behind the bar* what'll you have *I know: I'm under 21, but this is a PARTY!*

WOOO! CONGRATS! MAY YOU EVER GROW, BARROW-DOWNS!
Old 05-18-2002, 07:40 PM   #40
Sindacuion
Animated Skeleton

Sindacuion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Congratulations BD, indeed! This is the site I have been searching for: great chat, great forum and great people! I hope that BD may grow yonder and that the BD'ers would never become extinct. An that goes for all of you. Party on!